Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How do you migrate your site to a new host?

Advertisement Placeholder
Proboards hosts my forum, and I recently learned that we are not allowed to switch to another platform because of their terms of service. If the other free boards, such as Jcink, MyBB, and phpbb, can transfer to another, may I ask? Have you switched to a different platform if yours is paid for? Was that not a simple task? Did you hire someone or did you do it yourself?

In the past, we've downloaded the databases needed, then downloaded the files manually into a zip folder, we've also performed a "Full directory backup" in Cpanel as an extra precaution There's a lot of ways to handle back ups and some work better than others. I think the full backup route is probably the safest bet though to keep things 'in order' on the new hosting platform. Most hosting providers nowadays offer a migration service when you move hosts, either for free or a small fee, if you need help migrating to a new host, I would ask your new host about the migration process and see if they'd be willing to help move you from your old host.

Whenever I needed to move hosts, I would make a database backup in phpadmin. Then I'll install the same script on my new host, import my database and rebuild the forum to make sure all the post counts, avatars, etc. are correct upon reopening the site. It's been a while since I moved hosts though, I merged a few sites together but the merge was easy since I used Woltlab's own converter so it was a matter of just making sure the converter had access to the correct databases.

When comes to site migration, how do you do it? Do you manually download database and website files and re-upload or do you use automated site migration plugins or add-ons? I do it manually.
For me.. it's pretty simple. I keep a 3 week rolling full backup of all the sites databases and files (several hosted on the VPS). If I get a wild hair... I simply go to the new hosting provider, burn out my VPS and get it configured.. change my DNS entries to point to the new site, restore the sites from the backup and I'm back in business.

Whenever I needed to move hosts, I would make a database backup in phpadmin.
If you have ANY ability of shell access... avoid phpMyAdmin like you would the worst STD in existence. If the database is very large, it frequently times out and your DB export/backup is going to be trashed.
Just one more reason I avoid ANY panel like the plague.
If you are blessed with shell access, it's not really that hard to do using simple cron jobs.. I have some additional on the back end that keeps my locals broken down into weeks.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds