Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How big do you allow avatars to be on your forum?

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
When it comes to ones forum profile, we like to style it our own way, whether that be putting up a fun avatar, a profile image/background, and even update your signature with a banner or something. But, when it comes to your forums avatars, do how big do you usually allow avatars to be? I remember most forums had users use fairly small avatars on the profile. I remember some that allowed fairly big ones. But for most, it seems to be that avatars range from 40 x 40, 80 x 80 or more, but not too big like 400x400 or something.

What is your preference for avatar sizes? What size do you cap it out at? Do you have a limit to the size of the image used as well?

Advertisement Placeholder
phpBB forum by default has a small avatar limitation. When I created the forum, I increased the avatar size because the users were having difficulty resizing the avatar to fit on the site. However, I have not changed the default avatar size on MyBB and SMF. I think the avatar on these forums have pretty decent size.

I have never changed the size of avatars on my forum in which I use Xenforo so it will be set to the default for Xenforo but I can not remember for the life of me what that size is.

I have never had any issues with members not being able to upload an avatar they have wanted to use so I feel the size I have it set is fine and works well.

phpBB forum by default has a small avatar limitation. When I created the forum, I increased the avatar size because the users were having difficulty resizing the avatar to fit on the site. However, I have not changed the default avatar size on MyBB and SMF. I think the avatar on these forums have pretty decent size.

I hate using forums where I'm forced to resize my avatar especially when it must be very small. What I did when I used a forum that forced me to resize a smaller avatar was saving another user's avatar and used it as my own avatar. In using Xenforo, the default style uses 1178px x 250px for profile avatar.

I also do not like the forums where I have to resize my avatar to fit the forum. When I started using phpBB, I did not know it had limitations on avatar size. A lot of forums automatically resize your avatar to fit the forum, and I think this is a good feature as you do not have to resize your avatar yourself, and the forum automtically does it for you.

This is exactly how it should be done in my opinion because most forum members might not even know the kind of software that they need to make use of when it comes to resizing their profile picture or avatars. This is always going to leave most of them without having to upload any avatar.

I don't bother with trying to upload avatar in my profile when there's a required size of avatar. If I update an avatar and it's declined, I will not bother with trying to upload my avatar. Why would I be put through the hurdle of resizing my avatar?

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds