Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Have you had any failed sites?

Ghost

Recognized member
Credits
Have you had any failed sites? Obviously some forums/sites fail.
I think my biggest fail was an anonymous board that didn't take off and instead it was just full of spam. It was a great idea and it got some good feedback, but it never worked.
Now closed, that was sshare.org

Advertisement Placeholder
I had one wallpaper website. It never worked really, it was not having much traffic, and was very hard to monetise. So I ended up selling it. I managed to sell it for 30USD! :)
the website was http://www.ownedpix.com

Have you had any failed sites? Obviously some forums/sites fail.
I think my biggest fail was an anonymous board that didn't take off and instead it was just full of spam. It was a great idea and it got some good feedback, but it never worked.
Now closed, that was sshare.org
sshare.org, could have been a nice name for a social sharing/bookmarking website.

Nice work selling it for more than the domain costs! Obviously you did some work, or you found the right buyer but either way- props!

Ah yeah, sshare.org could have worked well for something like that. However, the domain expired when I was away from a computer (thought auto-renew was on) and it got picked up by someone else :(

Yeah it had more than 9000 wallpapers. Not copyrighted by me. All of them were collected from various other websites.

Anyway 30USD was a good deal imo! :)

Wow 9,000 wallpapers. That's impressive. Yeah there are a lot of those sites, but good collecting!
30 is a good deal! However, you may have been able to get more if you found someone with $$ that didn't want to spend time collecting wallpapers and could have paid you more ;P

But good job anyways, that's awesome!

I've had quite a few failed sites! However, with each failed site, I improved just a bit, making my overall ability much better :ilike:

I've had a failed blog, if that counts? :unsure:
Although a Gaming forum I helped run, shut after 2 years of us trying to revive it.. It didn't really "fail" as such but we just felt the need to close it.

I'll say all of them... Quite a few made profits when I sold them but I've never achieved my goals. As Sylar said though- I've learned from every failure!

One or two failed sites, although I haven't actually ran that many but I've learned a lot and bought it here and hopefully we're doing the right thing!

I've made sites before where mid-creation or sometime else I've realized that the idea is not unique and not worth pursuing. I don't try to make profits, just a successful and popular site. I have the money for hosting, etc. so don't really care for making money.

reducetummy.info! :/
I don't know if its a failed one or not, as I started it only recently. The thing is, finding or writing articles for this niche is quite a task!
Its not easy to get traffic also. I will try for 4 to 6 months and still it doesn't have any improvements, I will simply sell it or let that domain expire! :(

I have actually had quite a few, but none that I solely owned. So what I ended up doing was telling my partner that things weren't going to work out, and gave them the whole ownership to do whatever they want with it.

I've had quite a few failed sites! However, with each failed site, I improved just a bit, making my overall ability much better :ilike:
Couldn't have said it better myself. I learned over time that closing them when the time wasn't write just kills the whole experience and all of that work was wasted.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds