Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Forum Rules?

David Smith

Credits
Do you have loads of them, or do you have a few? I usually only have a few rules, so members know I am not strict and chilled out. Too many rules can drive members away.

Advertisement Placeholder
First of, I have to agree with you on the fact that sometimes too many rules can potentially drive people away. It may come across in some peoples mind that your website is going to be strict and very firm with punishments, while looking at similar websites with less rules may make you feel like it's a more homely place to be.

I'm sort of like this. When I come across a website with a ton of rules, I always feel like it's not going to feel like a community atmosphere and posting around isn't going to seem as fun. Although really, I'm just judging a book by it's cover. Or rules, if you wish. :p

Although when it comes to creating my own rules for my website, I prefer to keep it short and sweet, cover the main things with possibly a few sub-rules. Most of the time though, website rules are pretty similar to each other, normally because it's just common sense on what you can and can't post.

It is not rocket science on what rules should be. Things like personal attacks, excessive swearing, illegal/not safe for work content will not be allowed on almost any forum. The rules are just something that the moderation team can refer back to whenever someone does something stupid.

It is not rocket science on what rules should be. Things like personal attacks, excessive swearing, illegal/not safe for work content will not be allowed on almost any forum. The rules are just something that the moderation team can refer back to whenever someone does something stupid.
That's very true. Somewhere in my rules I also put on how the staff team can give out custom punishments depending on what they see fit. Just in-case you get those people who will argue against your rules and plead they did nothing wrong because the rules didn't cover everything.

Interesting thoughts among the matter of rules. What's the strangest rule you have seen what may of just been crazy to even been a rule?

This depends from one forum to anther. The key factor is what the admin has in mind, but usually most of the rules are rules from bigger sites with small modifications.

I think most rules are common sense. It doesn't really take much thought to create a basic template of rules and then you can mould some rules around your particular community.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds