Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Forum Concept

Credits
I was thinking about this earlier....

What if - similar to reddit there could be any topic on a forum. The top header could be used to go to different "Forums" or different genres but all within the same name.

Ideas: Admin Forum | General Community | Technology and Gaming | Hobbies & Home

So just using AJ as an example here... Admin Junkies could have just the admin forums on the index - go to the header and click General Community and you would see that general community forum index... etc. On the main forum index it could have latest posts for all the areas embedded into one. I could also envision this as them being forum categories you can turn on and off - not having to see updates for all the areas. If you're interested in admin things - awesome, also a general community awesome, but if you don't want to hear about technology and gaming turn off that box.

I've always thought about forums having such a big amount of possibilities... could this be a fix and where you don't have to join 20 communities to get all the differing things you're wanting to find and you can semi find it all within one?

Do you think this would work - would you be interested in this concept?

Advertisement Placeholder
I wouldn't mind if such a forum existed as long as it had the same structure as a forum like Xenforo, SMF, etc. and not like Reddit where the replies are in a tree structure. Though this sounds like it could work with Invision Power Services clubs software or you could use vBulletin's groups.

Isn't this ... Reddit? Community Hive?
That's Invision Community, they are not even using an addon. That's the build in fluid forum layout. Via "external links" in the subnavigation they define the forums whose content should be displayed.

For example they have a subforum for movies and one for tv-shows. This shows both in the listing https://www.fanclubs.org/forums/?forumId=586,584

What cool is, if you are interested in gaming, technology and entertainment only, you can "create" your own link which would look like https://www.fanclubs.org/forums/?forumId=576,632,585 :D

That works on Invisioneer too, now you know why I asked to activate that layout ;)

Would be similar to the idea of Reddit - but more organized in my opinion. Perhaps not endless possibilities like Reddit - unless groups were really used. Unsure of Community Hive as I have no experience with it.
It feels like Community Hive wants to become a "Reddit for individual forums" where you can see content from multiple forums all in one feed. I'm kinda mixed on it, since how would Google treat potentially "duplicate content"? That is, unless they have the Hive pages set to noindex.

They are already working on paid monthly plans, which will prioritize sites on paid plans, and its still in alpha/beta stages.

I have mixed feelings about this Community Hive, hopefully it doesn't overtake search results away from the original sites where we become dependant on their service.

It almost sounds like tabbed categories for a forum where you can select a tab and those forums related to the tab name would appear and the others would disappear. That might not be the best concept the OP is describing, but that's one way of having such specific categories without overloading the board index with endless forums.

You don't even need clubs or groups, look how this guys are doing it ...
https://www.fanclubs.org/forums/?forumId=586,584
This concept works with a traditional layout too. I had something similiar with vBulletin and different themes for categories and forums.
Hey, that's my site! I didn't expect to run into a mention here, so thank you. That also answers my question about whether that was the same VORT3X that signed up. 😁

What if - similar to reddit there could be any topic on a forum. The top header could be used to go to different "Forums" or different genres but all within the same name.

Ideas: Admin Forum | General Community | Technology and Gaming | Hobbies & Home

So just using AJ as an example here... Admin Junkies could have just the admin forums on the index - go to the header and click General Community and you would see that general community forum index... etc.

That's how I plan on expanding the General Discussion forums if there's a need to. I'm using a similar approach on my Notre Dame Community for logged-in members who prefer this view instead of the Fluid Mode for all forums. It's called 'Combined Fluid Mode' in Invision Community for those wondering.

1694307733924.png

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds