Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Fighting copyright for names that are similar but not the same

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
Have you ever been sent a cease and desist letter for running a site with a name similar to a popular brand? But it's a different name, enough so that it shouldn't be an issue. But this company still sent a letter to stop using the name or to change it. Has this sort of thing ever happened to you? I think there is some say in if a name is too close to the original. But as long as it's not an outright copy or the same exact name, it should be fine right?

Advertisement Placeholder
This has not happened to me. However, I once registered a domain without knowing that there was a similar domain name that belonged to a company. The only variation I had was "s" I was using the plural form of the word. Even the domain extension was the same. Thankfully the company has never sued me for copyrights.

Well, there's no way they can win such a case when it gets into a all out legal battle. As long as the business name isn't a pure copy of their business, there's nothing they can do about it. They have no ownership or copyrights of names similar to their own name. Therefore, they can't do anything to force you to change yours.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds