Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Ever use the way back machine to help with site ideas?

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
The Way Back Machine for those wondering, is a website where you can search a domain and it will show all the snapshots of the sites using said domain over the years. Some sites go back into the 90s. Some are still around today. But this isn't about how cool the wayback machine is, what I want to discuss is how to use the wayback machine to get inspiration for website design. A lot of older websites are dated due to their old look, but I think making a site in those old styles is good, because people love nostalgia and this would be a fun way to show nostalgia in a way.

What do you guys think? Would you ever use the wayback machine to get ideas for your own site?

Advertisement Placeholder
I have in the past used Wayback Machine many times. I used to have a general chat forum from 2009 - 2017 and I sadly had to make the tough decision to close it as the hosting fees rocketed for me and I was no longer able to afford it.

I then decided earlier this year to revive it before making a niche change a little later on. Using the Wayback Machine really helped me set out my forum again.

I do not use Wayback Machine for site ideas, but I frequently, check websites (including mine) through Wayback machines just to see how they were in the past. This is purely out of curiosity.

I have in the past used Wayback Machine many times. I used to have a general chat forum from 2009 - 2017 and I sadly had to make the tough decision to close it as the hosting fees rocketed for me and I was no longer able to afford it.

I then decided earlier this year to revive it before making a niche change a little later on. Using the Wayback Machine really helped me set out my forum again.
That's awesome that you used the Wayback machine to make your current forum. It's really useful if you want to go back in the past to see what we did. I wish I remember the link to my first forum, as I forgot the domain years ago. Still wondering if it's somehow still around. I doubt it, but you never know.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds