Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Email Notifications

Sam1

Mythical member
Website
holderhost.com
Credits
What should notifications be sent for, by default, to a persons email address? Should you send one every time they get a reply to their thread, a pm etc.

Advertisement Placeholder
I prefer the instant notification feature. I would like to subscribe to all the threads for which I have replied by default! But speaking as an admin, this should be a personal choice, not a choice admin should make!

I think that by default only PM notifications should be sent to the user's e-mail. I'm speaking from the end-user's side, because I'm pretty sure that no one (except xpl0iter) likes getting swarms of e-mails from one single forum.

I think that by default only PM notifications should be sent to the user's e-mail. I'm speaking from the end-user's side, because I'm pretty sure that no one (except xpl0iter) likes getting swarms of e-mails from one single forum.

Well, I filter those in email account. That way you just have to open the email and check in that filter folder for any important replies for the threads I started or some other threads to which I had replied. And all these emails skip the inbox, so no, my inbox is not a mess! :p

I don't like to miss any discussions. I take part in a discussion only because if I find it worthy of replying. In that case I never want to miss any replies from that thread. If I haven't subscribed to them, I will forget it which is not something I want. I get a lot of emails already and I filter almost all of them.

If you're a part of lots of forums and other various online activities, this is the best thing to do imo. I tend to forget a lot of stuffs, but I keep my email account open all the time, so it makes sure almost nothing important is missed.

I couldn't agree more! I can't tell you how annoying it is to get automatically emailed about new replies in a thread.

Well, I filter those in email account. That way you just have to open the email and check in that filter folder for any important replies for the threads I started or some other threads to which I had replied. And all these emails skip the inbox, so no, my inbox is not a mess! :p

I don't like to miss any discussions. I take part in a discussion only because if I find it worthy of replying. In that case I never want to miss any replies from that thread. If I haven't subscribed to them, I will forget it which is not something I want. I get a lot of emails already and I filter almost all of them.

If you're a part of lots of forums and other various online activities, this is the best thing to do imo. I tend to forget a lot of stuffs, but I keep my email account open all the time, so it makes sure almost nothing important is missed.
All you say is true, but I believe that such notifications shouldn't be enabled by default, because I'm pretty certain that majority of forum users don't like being swarmed about notifications for threads they've replied to.

the user should be able to choose what he gets a pm for
We're talking about e-mail not private messages.

I have mine sent for the entire forum :D
Sure, but it was your decision to do so, not "enforced" by an administrator. All I'm saying is that by default, users should only receive e-mail when they
  • receive a private message
  • receive a comment on their user profile
  • receive a warning or have been banned
  • newsletter or notifications from administrators
In other words, only for something related to their forum profile.

We're talking about e-mail not private messages.

Sure, but it was your decision to do so, not "enforced" by an administrator. All I'm saying is that by default, users should only receive e-mail when they
  • receive a private message
  • receive a comment on their user profile
  • receive a warning or have been banned
  • newsletter or notifications from administrators
In other words, only for something related to their forum profile.

Ohh ok I see what you mean then. my bad :p I dont see why anyone would enforce anything else? Should be up to the user should it not?

Ohh ok I see what you mean then. my bad :p I dont see why anyone would enforce anything else? Should be up to the user should it not?
It's not enforced, not in the right sense of the word - thus the quotation marks.

Many administrators don't change the default settings for XenForo for example (don't know of any other forum software that comes with such setting by default); you subscribe to each and every thread you post in by default and therefore you are notified of any new activity via e-mail.

All you say is true, but I believe that such notifications shouldn't be enabled by default, because I'm pretty certain that majority of forum users don't like being swarmed about notifications for threads they've replied to.
Yeah I know, there some forums which I never intend to go back, so receiving mails from those forums is pretty annoying. So admins should never make this decision about thread reply notifications.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds