Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Duplicate Topics

Sylar

Addicted member
Credits
Do you get really upset if someone posts a duplicate topic on your forum? What do you do if this happens?

Depending on if there's multiple posts in the topic that is a duplicate, I might merge the topics. But usually I would just trash/delete the duplicate and tell the user to look a little more closely next time they post

Advertisement Placeholder
Nah, I just merge it and go on from there, it doesn't really bother me. It's the effort that counts, ya know?

Though what I have a huge issue with is staff members doing this, I can think of one particular forum that has staff who constantly creates the same topics when all they'd have to do is go back a few pages. It's really annoying and just looks stupid on their part, and I'm not the only one who notices their laziness. :p

I don't understand why people make a big deal about duplicate topics. If it's a duplicate topic and the other topic has occurred recently, then I'll just merge the two topics and leave it at that. If the other topic is really old, then I won't touch either of the topics at all. I'll just leave them both live.

If both topics were fresh, I would merge them together. Sometimes, users just get so wrapped up in posting that they may not notice a thread has already been created about this. If the is an old thread and a new thread, I would just leave them as well.

I don't really mind if someone posts a duplicate topic. It doesn't worry me. Usually, I will just go ahead and merge the duplicate topic into the original thread.

I do get mad when people post duplicate topics. Sometimes, it can happen. I do post some duplicate threads myself from time to time. So, I would never give any warning or anything to that user. I would merge that with the existing thread. I have added the same in the forum rules, that without intimation, we would be merging the duplicate threads and such.

It's a pain to search and then post the topic but it would help us quite a bit in maintaining forum's quality. I don't get the concept of trashed threads or posts. It consists of all the spam posts and such. I would rather delete them permanently rather than having them anywhere in the forum. Spam posts usually attracts other spam bots as well, after all.

People should go easy on duplicate topics but then again, it's just my personal opinion.

Duplicate topics really don't bother me at all. I'll just merge the two topics if one is still active and the other one was recently created, or sometimes I'll lock the newer topic if it's right on the same page and in very close proximity with the other topic. It's basically whatever I think should be done about the duplicate topics at that time. However, if there is a very old duplicate topic, then I'll just let it be. I am not really concerned about duplicate threads.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds