Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Duplicate Threads

HyperActive1

Website
thevideogamers.com
Credits
How do you enforce having double threads on your forum? Some administrators allow having duplicate threads if the original thread has reached a certain age, while others usually lock/delete the newer one and bump the older one, or lock/delete the older one and keep the newer one.

What is your procedure when it comes down to duplicate threads?

Advertisement Placeholder
It doesn't bother me as long as the older thread is off the first page. Even if the threads are both active at the same time, I'll just merge them.

I don't mind having duplicate threads. There might be some reasons for it; older thread might have content related to past and doesn't apply now. So duplicate should not be a big issue for any forum webmaster.

I just delete it if there is a duplicate thread. I don't like having two threads about the same discussion.

I'll usually just delete the duplicate threads, depends of the age though. If it's older than 2 weeks, I won't delete it.

If I find a duplicate thread then I would merge it with the older one ( more than 1 month). If both the threads are new then I will delete the latest thread.

It really depends on how many topics are in that board, and if the two threads are on the same page or within 2 pages of each other.

But generally I will end up doing one of the following.
1) Lock new thread and notify thread creator on the topic that is on the same subject, that he could have posted it in.
2) Merge new topic with the old topic, effectively bumping the old topic.
3) Move duplicate topic to the board trash.

I do mind having them. The only case I would not remove it is if the topic is an updated version of the other topic. Also, if the older topic is at least 3 months old.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds