Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Do you members read the rules?

Martee

Mythical member
Credits
Would you say that your members read the rules of your site? In this day and age we are all famous for scrolling to the bottom and clicking 'I Agree' on terms and conditions so it is my guess that not many people actually read rules.

I would say though, that on this site only one or two people haven't read the rules but then again, I think most rules are common sense in todays world which is why people don't read them but anyway, I digress.

What do you think?

Advertisement Placeholder
i agree most people scroll and click agree - which is why i think it is essential to have the rules clearly displayed with several links and on the sign up so people cannot have the "i didnt know" excuse.

i also find it incredibly annoying when using a forum if the rules are not clearly displayed before i join and which doesnt put them on the sign up page - especially when you then get punished for it. i know of one forum where the rules and contact details are on the admins personal profile and includes not being allowed forums as websites in the section for website on your profile.

Rules on the Admin's profile? What the heck, lol. That's one of the more stranger places I've heard! I agree with you though, rules need to be throughly placed around the forum for that exact reason, don't want to give naughty members a way out now do we?

Rules on the admin profile! o_O
Seriously that admin should be banned from his/her own community!

You do speak the truth mate, haha. Why in the name of all thats holy would you stick the rules solely on your admin profile though? Peoples first thought when they visit a forum isn't 'Oh, must check the admins profile for rules' ><

to be fair the person did take one hell of a dive in the deep end as they were/are endeavouring to fill the gap left when the BBC closed its massive disability forum - they had only been a member of forums before and went to the free host they were familiar with and jumped from there. unfortunately they are ultra sensitive to me as i have more experience and i can only presume they worry i want to take over - i have actually been banned from there which is actually sad for me because i found the disability support there wonderful.

Hmm, a lot of the time admins have a specific signature with links to the rules, TOS, Privacy Policy, where to go to advertise on the forum etc.

Just make it text links mate, looks a lot more modern and effective if you style them up right in my opinion!

To be honest, after seeing this topic I clicked on the member's signature link above me to read the forum rules and noticed it's generic once again (you remember generic forum rules after you've joined several forums and been apart of 'em for years/ also, did not know this forum had rules -> footer link is not visible enough). It's common sense for what's right and wrong when participating in forums and when you're iffy on something (eg. if a forum has a marketplace and you wish to post) , you can always re-read the forum rules.

Most of it is common sense and I won't lie, I don't read rules. :p

If I feel like something is a bit out there, I would read the rules before posting, but otherwise most of it is all common sense.

now that I think about it, the rules thread has gotten quite a lot of views and responses but in totality I don't think a ton of my members really do read them so they probably skim it.

Most rules are common sense in my view so I doubt most people read them but we've had a few here who certainly havent. One of our rules is no advertising via statuses and I've had to redirect people to the rules a few times for that one!

I do read the forum rules. Especially the section specific rules. I don't know, its just a habit, I'm usually not in a hurry and tend to read all the stickies and announcements.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds