Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Do you let threads be deleted, or do you archive them?

Arariel

Website
w11.zetaboards.com
Credits
The most common way of dealing with threads that aren't needed is to delete them. Another common way that is arguably not used as much is to create a 'trash'/'archive' section only visible to staff and throw the topics there.

Does your forum delete threads, or do you save all of the unneeded ones?

I keep all of them on my forum, and do as I mentioned, making a trash can for them. Even old staff topics. It's just nice to still have those threads there in the rare event something comes up.

Advertisement Placeholder
I usually archive them in a trash board like you, unless they are bot posts or duplicate posts. I don't see the purpose in keeping those posts.

As you said, it can be useful to keep old topics in case they are needed for something in the future. Plus, I enjoy going back and looking at old topics. There's nothing like taking a trip down memory lane. :D

I use a trash board. Even for spam. Someday, I might want something from that topic or post to use in a form of moderation decision.

I always archive, just in case something is brought up because of that post, it's good to have a visual "proof"

Deleting or archiving for me it totally depends on the thread it self. If I feel it is important then I will archive it if not just delete it.

Archiving is definitely the way to go. Sometimes it's good to have a public archive/trash forum too.

I throw all mine in a "trash bin" only visible to staff rather than deleting them. Like David 17k7, I like having them in a place visible to just the staff members so that they can be used for staff decisions at some point in the future. For example, if a person gets a warning for posting spam on the forum and wants to argue their point, then the posts that are archived in the "trash bin" can sometimes come in handy for just such occasions. It would be harder for staff to argue their point if the spam was just automatically deleted.

Generally I would archive threads that need deleting instead of deleting them. Mainly because when you delete a thread the stats go down and that might not be the best of ideas. Another reason is so if my team feels it doesn't need to be archived, they can debate and we can decide as a team whether it should stay or not.

I usually trash them into a separate board for only staff members could see. I don't let users delete their own posts and/or threads. They usually report the thread or post to be deleted. If they do, I don't delete it. I put it in a board for later on. If the post or thread is violating forum rules, I'll trash it and label it a specific label to notify all staff members to not unarchieve it. Same thing goes for spammers.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds