Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you just hide old topic/categories on your forum?

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
When you have a forum with a lot of categories that don't get much traffic, do you ever just hide them from use instead of removing them from your site? I used to just block off topic areas when no one would post to them. I found having too many categories can cause issues. How many topic areas have you hidden or just removed? I keep them active but hidden so I can go back and read old posts if needed. I was thinking of just adding them all to an archive section like some forums do, I might just do that.

Advertisement Placeholder
I do not hide old topics or categories. If the topic is irrelevant, I will simply lock it, and if the topic is still relevant despite being old, I will encourage members to leave comments on the topic and bring it back to life. Generally speaking, topics on my forums are evergreen, therefore, I don't hide old topics.

I used to hide some forums that I no longer used, but eventually, I just deleted the forums and sent all of the topics in the forums to the trash can.

If a forum had a lot of topics in it that I think could make a comeback one day, I'd probably keep the forum hidden for possible later use, but most forums I hide don't have any future usage and just sit there and collect cyber dust.

I never hide or delete anything. If a subforum has lost activity, it can be merged with another subforum or parent forum.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds