Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Do you engage in moderator training before hiring them?

Advertisement Placeholder
Not really, no. I don't do mod training usually as I state I'd prefer somebody who has some experience moderating using XenForo or software I am using.

I have always been curious to what is involved in these trainings. So if anyone has a clue, enlighten me please. :)
There is mod training for a once popular avatar dress up site. I cannot go into many details as they make you sign an NDA. It's almost like...uh...college? Like you do the stuff they tell you by a given time. If you have to extend it, they usually are ok with it. It's also ok if you step down too during mod training.

When I hire moderators I will always put them in a week trial period to see how they work and see how they handle certain situations, I feel a week gives me enough time to see how they are as a moderator and if they are someone I would like to keep on as a staff member. I don't have any kind of training as I tend to hire people who have experience working and moderating forums.

I've never hired a moderator using application forms or CV's and certainly not engaged in training them. It's not exactly rocket science to make sure rules are being followed.

Not before. But after they assume their duties, I try to help them understand a few basic things. Some related to the forum and some general principles, tips and tricks, backend hacks so on.

Not really, I feel like if they're already a regular user of the forum, they should be familiar with the rules and guidelines and have already obviously proven themselves in terms of how they carry their discussions, replies and interacting with other users. If they've never moderated a forum before, it may be a good idea to go through the basics of the tools available to them and what you expect from them.

I am planning to write a moderator's handbook. Then the process will be as simple as giving them a copy.

Need to find time to write down the skeleton first.
I haven't had the opportunity to work as a staff member in any forum. I would be interested in knowing what are expected of me. I will be looking forward to you getting this moderator's handbook done.

I am working on an ebook now, for a client. It is taking too much time than expected.

Once it is done, I will start this work. I have the idea in my mind. Just needs to write it down.

I was staff at a forum and the first thing I had to do once I became promoted was read the guidelines and let the lead know I read them. Which is fair - makes the expectations known straight away. That really is the only training I've ever necessarily received. I know one forum even had images though on how to warn and etc, very explanatory which was good for it's time since most people on forums at that time were quite young.

I can't say I ever given anyone formal training but if someone asked a question in regards to how to moderate the forum whether it be gauging their interpretation of rules or simply how to actually carry out actions on the forum then I would have no problem teaching said person what they needed to know. Gaps in knowledge aren't a big deal nor should they be seen as a deal breaker to hiring someone. You can fill in the gaps when it comes to someone's knowledge but not character. That's something the would be staff member has to be ready to bring forward on day one.

Really my only requirements are you're 21+ and you've had least 6 months experience of modding/admining/being an owner of a board in some shape/forum. Overall I'm pretty laid back, but I absolutely don't want minors as staff because I've seen the horrors that can come out of frankly just being a teenager in a place of power like adminship or being a moderator (possibly prone to drama, very headstrong emotions, pettiness, etc.)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds