Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Do you block ad-blockers from accessing your site?

Belthazar

Loyal member
Credits
This is something quite a few people seem to be starting to do. Basically the idea behind this is whenever someone is using an ad-blocker, they'll be blocked from viewing your website by a software. I've personally never been a fan of doing this, and I think it's counterproductive. I use ad-blocker on certain sites, and I'd personally stop visiting most of them if they blocked ad-blockers. Have you done this? How did it go over?

Advertisement Placeholder
This is something quite a few people seem to be starting to do. Basically the idea behind this is whenever someone is using an ad-blocker, they'll be blocked from viewing your website by a software. I've personally never been a fan of doing this, and I think it's counterproductive. I use ad-blocker on certain sites, and I'd personally stop visiting most of them if they blocked ad-blockers. Have you done this? How did it go over?

I would never do this. For one reason being my website does not have ads. Another one is some people who use ad blockers have it for a reason. Maybe something got into their computer via an ad. Maybe some people go on websites that are bombarded with ads and just want to get rid of them. Also, some websites take it extremely far like an ad every few lines. So yes, I do not recommend this. It is really up to the website owner though. If people are having to use an adblock software on your website than you might wanna lower the amount of ads. :p

Nah, I don't see a reason for people to do this. Sure it hurts the forum you're visiting but no one is going to turn off their Adblock just to see your measly little forum, ya know?

I don't but I do notify them that not everything will be able to be seen or used unless they are turned off. I don't see the point of keeping them away completely like Forbes does.

No, I have never blocked ad-blocker users from accessing any site of mine and I never would. Using ad-blocker is a personal preference and something I personally use myself to prevent ads and popups. I feel that if someone chooses to use that software they should be able to do so without fear of being blocked because of it. Blocking them unless they turn ad-blocker off will only lead to potential visitors and members leaving your site and going elsewhere.

The worst thing today is you are forced, every where to see adverts. There literally is no break from it. The other side of the problem is so many website owners rely on adverts. I think you should always give the end user the choice. Maybe a message just to say hey, support us by removing your ad blocker. If a website blocks me because of it, I will leave and never go back. Giving choice is the key here! If they like your site then they will support it and probably more than happy to remove it, if not then perhaps they will make a donation...

It's one thing to cause inconvenience to users by adding ads, as you'll have to weigh the risks of having users being offended or even leaving due to ads shown on your site, but you've taken it to a new level if you block users based on their ad blockers. Many users don't have a choice. Those under the age of 18, may have to use ad-blockers due to family restrictions. The same goes for anyone who access your site from a work environment.

Furthermore, you may be losing money. Each visitor is a potential contributor whether or not he generates money for you individually.

I won't normally make much effort to block them, however I will add discouraging text stating it helps fund the site etc. Generally I rely on advertisement money to help fund sites and not cost me personally so I'm not a huge fan of using an ad-blocker and only disable it on sites they are covered in annoying ads or popups

I wouldn't do this because I just don't think it would be healthy for you. Unless your site is absolutely massive and doesn't have too many rivals, chances are you will just drive that person away. But I would add a few automated messages displayed to those using ad blockers trying to discourage them or telling them to at least bypass this site.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds