Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Did you ever find old stock/products when running a store?

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
If you own a store or shop that sells products, maybe food, clothes, electronics etc. Was there ever a time where you found old stock or product lying around? Maybe it was stuck under the shelving or got lost behind something for years. I bring it up because I hear people are still finding new games that are from 20-30 years ago. So I can only imagine what other products ge lt lost in the store. If you find theae old items, do you ever try to sell them?

Advertisement Placeholder
There are certain people who may be looking for older products. However, older products are getting obsolete by the passage of time, so the demand of old products may also decrease as well by the passage of time. The fact of the matter remains that it depends on the actual demand and supply of particular products.

I have never run a store to know but I have helped managed a smaller shop in the past and you would be shocked by the number of items that get lost or overlooked, even in a smaller business. I cannot imagine what it looks like for places like Walmart or Amazon!

I have never run a store to know but I have helped managed a smaller shop in the past and you would be shocked by the number of items that get lost or overlooked, even in a smaller business. I cannot imagine what it looks like for places like Walmart or Amazon!

Walmart always have competitive prices and I think that this is also one of the main reasons why they are so popular. However, certain products at Walmart may not be that cheap as many people think, so comparing the prices might be a wise thing to do. This could, however, consume a lots of time.

Well online, absolutely yes. there was a time I comes across a particular product that in a very high demand but I thought we are out of it not until some time I ran into it my mistakes.

If you own a store or shop that sells products, maybe food, clothes, electronics etc. Was there ever a time where you found old stock or product lying around? Maybe it was stuck under the shelving or got lost behind something for years. I bring it up because I hear people are still finding new games that are from 20-30 years ago. So I can only imagine what other products ge lt lost in the store. If you find theae old items, do you ever try to sell them?
If you have a store where you pack a lot of items, there will be so much products which will get lost in there if you packed a lot of things in there.

You can make this problem go away by departmentalization of every item you sell as they are packed in the store. It will make it easy to find any item you're looking for.

I was once a sales manager at a store where we sold tires. I was once checking the warehouse and found a stock of motorbike tires, which was not recorded in our inventory. We made a lot of profits selling those tires.

I was once a sales manager at a store where we sold tires. I was once checking the warehouse and found a stock of motorbike tires, which was not recorded in our inventory. We made a lot of profits selling those tires.
I bet, the company will be very happy when they get such a report of sales. There are some sales manager who will sell such products and take the money for themselves since the products are not in any inventory.

I bet, the company will be very happy when they get such a report of sales. There are some sales manager who will sell such products and take the money for themselves since the products are not in any inventory.

A lot of workers have criminal tendency when it comes to taking something from the company especially if it is something that no one can account for. This is the reason why I try once in a while to put my workers on trial to know if they are the honest and sincere type to return something that they found which looks like they are not accounted for.

I wonder if someone was taking them to the side to steel. Sounds like it was someone in the shop hiding those tires in the hopes he/she could later sell them. Especially if it's not in the records, that would be my guess. :D

If you have a store where you pack a lot of items, there will be so much products which will get lost in there if you packed a lot of things in there.

You can make this problem go away by departmentalization of every item you sell as they are packed in the store. It will make it easy to find any item you're looking for.
Yeah there's bound to be some old stock up in there. I just wonder about past items no longer for sale being found in a store, usually hidden or under something. I remember a video of a walmart, where some kids pulled up a bottom shelf to reveal a bunch of old toys from like a decade ago. I guess some people also hide stuff under these shelves to buy them later.

It could be that someone was trying to steal those tiers by not recording them in the inventory or it could also be possibly someone forgot to note them in the inventory book. But anyways we were able to sell those tires and make a huge profits.

It could be that someone was trying to steal those tiers by not recording them in the inventory or it could also be possibly someone forgot to note them in the inventory book. But anyways we were able to sell those tires and make a huge profits.

Yeah, that's very correct. There's a possibility someone was actually trying to hide it and pick it up later to sell it for their own personal gain but unfortunately you people were able to discover it and eventually sold it for the company.

If you don't carry out business inventory when you are having this kind of business, there is always a possibility that you can stumble on an old stock that have been kicked to the corner which can be by accident or by someone who is trying to steal from you.

I think that many businesses usually keep a record of all the inventory. This is also one of the main reasons why they tend to maintain records and they are usually aware of old stocks. They may focus a lot on selling such kind of stock. However, many stores also hoard products and sell it at a higher price.

I think that many businesses usually keep a record of all the inventory. This is also one of the main reasons why they tend to maintain records and they are usually aware of old stocks. They may focus a lot on selling such kind of stock. However, many stores also hoard products and sell it at a higher price.

Yeah, I feel the same way too because it's something that I do in my own business too. But you can't eliminate completely the possibility of a staff having the stealing or criminal mind to hoard your product and hide it. An apprentice did it to his boss in my location by dumping some of their good by the gutter without knowing someone saw him and reported it to his boss. He was sacked immediately by his boss.

Well that is actually one thing people did. Some people would put a popular game for example under a shelf in order to pick it up later, but some of these people never came back in to pick it up. So there could be a lot of games and hidden items around the store and all it would take is a little search.

But, I'm sure most big box stores have remodeled and found these stashes, but I wonder more about stores that haven't changed much in the years. I bet there are some hidden gems waiting to be found. :D

A lot of workers have criminal tendency when it comes to taking something from the company especially if it is something that no one can account for. This is the reason why I try once in a while to put my workers on trial to know if they are the honest and sincere type to return something that they found which looks like they are not accounted for.
You're taking a risk with trying to put your workers on trial to know if they are the honest and sincere type to return something that they found because there are some whom would take that which they found and run away if it's valuable more than what they are paid as salary.

You're taking a risk with trying to put your workers on trial to know if they are the honest and sincere type to return something that they found because there are some whom would take that which they found and run away if it's valuable more than what they are paid as salary.

Yeah, I know that it's a risk on my part but I take calculated risks with them. I don't use products that are too expensive to give them the trail because I know that some people can be tempted in a way they wouldn't be able to resit it. I always make sure that I have a way to track them.

This is normal with those that are running this kind of business. They will always find out about some old stocks that are stuck somewhere. I don't run that kind of shop, but my sister has a groceries shop and there are times that she will have this type of experience.

This is normal with those that are running this kind of business. They will always find out about some old stocks that are stuck somewhere. I don't run that kind of shop, but my sister has a groceries shop and there are times that she will have this type of experience.

Any kind of business that have lots of products that are always moved in and out from one store to another experiences this kind of thing. You're right about groceries shop facing the same situation all the time. They have so many items that are when tiny and they could easily be kicked under somewhere without knowing.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds