Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Dedicated Server

Who uses a dedicated server? When might it be needed? I'd say it would be needed when you have a super powerful site. One that gets so much traffic that even a VPS cannot handle it. Anyway, I don't feel like a lot of small-time site owners need it. In fact, they only need shared hosting. Now some are saying a forum needs at least a VPS, but I'm not sure on that.

Advertisement Placeholder
I've used dedicated servers - yes, sometimes it's because the site simply needs the resources. Sometimes it's for a SaaS provider where there are stipulations in the contract about not sharing resources with other customers, and you can certainly sell that as part of a SaaS offering if you have governmental customers, especially in the 'encrypted at rest' playground.

Most small-time owners absolutely do not need dedis, most don't really need a VPS. As for if a forum 'needs' at least a VPS this is mostly a function of what platform you're using - Flarum and Waterhole theoretically could be installed on many (not most) shared hosting environments, while Discourse, NodeBB and Thredded as a minimum really aren't because they have needs that traditional shared hosting just doesn't offer (e.g. Ruby support, Node support, both with things like PostgreSQL or MongoDB requirements)

Who uses a dedicated server? When might it be needed? I'd say it would be needed when you have a super powerful site. One that gets so much traffic that even a VPS cannot handle it. Anyway, I don't feel like a lot of small-time site owners need it. In fact, they only need shared hosting. Now some are saying a forum needs at least a VPS, but I'm not sure on that.
Currently a LOT of VPS's can rival a dedicated server (the lower end ones that many tend to get). You can get a dedicated 16vCPU/64GB RAM/360GB SSD with 20TB of transfer for around $160USD from my provider... the shared vCPU is even cheaper ($65 USD monthly 16vCPU/32GGB RAM/360GB SSD 20TB transfer).

My site is not busy.. but it DOES run on a 4vCPU/8GB/160GB VPS instance... because I run a few other sites on it and also run ElasticSearch, Redis cache and Memcached on it. I pay about $16USD a month for it... I could move it to the dedicated vCPU for about twice what I'm paying... but so far my VPS performance hasn't been negatively affected by being on the shared vCPU's.

Back in the day, I leased dedicated iron and then installed ProxMox or SolusVM on it... and created my own VPS instances for myself and others to use... but at $450-$650 a month for the servers I'd be looking at being worth getting.. I'll simply continue on a VPS and let someone else subsidize that hardware cost.

For a simple site... most can get by with a DECENT shared hosting plan at the beginning.. the only time you may start looking at a VPS is when you are having to pay for outside services like ElasticSearch and such.

Last edited:
Currently a LOT of VPS's can rival a dedicated server (the lower end ones that many tend to get). You can get a dedicated 16vCPU/64GB RAM/360GB SSD with 20TB of transfer for around $160USD from my provider... the shared vCPU is even cheaper ($65 USD monthly 16vCPU/32GGB RAM/360GB SSD 20TB transfer).

My site is not busy.. but it DOES run on a 4vCPU/8GB/160GB VPS instance... because I run a few other sites on it and also run ElasticSearch, Redis cache and Memcached on it. I pay about $16USD a month for it... I could move it to the dedicated vCPU for about twice what I'm paying... but so far my VPS performance hasn't been negatively affected by being on the shared vCPU's.

Back in the day, I leased dedicated iron and then installed ProxMox or SolusVM on it... and created my own VPS instances for myself and others to use... but at $450-$650 a month for the servers I'd be looking at being worth getting.. I'll simply continue on a VPS and let someone else subsidize that hardware cost.

For a simple site... most can get by with a DECENT shared hosting plan at the beginning.. the only time you may start looking at a VPS is when you are having to pay for outside services like ElasticSearch and such.
I use reseller hosting. Is that the same as a VPS? I get that so I can pay by the month.

Well, what I have is good enough. There is no speed problems, but I don't have a huge amount of visitors.
That's the main thing... use what fits your needs.
For me, with ES, a VPS is pretty much a requirement. Yes, there are some shared hosting providers that provide ES also, but for the cost, I can keep my VPS all to myself and not be as worried about resources.

That's the main thing... use what fits your needs.
For me, with ES, a VPS is pretty much a requirement. Yes, there are some shared hosting providers that provide ES also, but for the cost, I can keep my VPS all to myself and not be as worried about resources.
Some people say a forum needs a VPS, at the least. Do you think it does? Why might that be the case?

Some people say a forum needs a VPS, at the least. Do you think it does? Why might that be the case?
Generally.. all a starting forum needs is a decent shared hosting provider.. and no, GoDaddy and HostGator do not qualify as such! :ROFLMAO:
I personally have higher requirements even though the site itself may not.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds