Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Custom Theme

Credits
Are custom themes required for a forum to do well in your opinion? When you open a forum do you recommend they have a custom theme, or simply find one that is purchasable/free? How soon should a community consider getting a custom theme? How much would you spend on a custom theme for your community? How frequently would you get a new custom theme?

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't think a custom theme is necessary for a forum to succeed, no. One of the most active boards on Jcink uses the forum software's default theme. I think it is more of a branding thing that gives a unique touch to your board. I think some members will be turned away if you use a non-custom theme, but in the long run, I don't think a custom theme guarantees a forum's success.

I don't have to purchase a custom theme since my friend is a designer and I am a coder, put the two together and we build our own themes.

I think for branding purposes and to give your board that unique touch, if you plan to have a custom theme I think sooner rather than later is a good idea.

I don't change our custom board themes for consistency and branding purposes.

It's not necessarily a requirement, it's more of a nice touch that will make your forum more unique and attractive. If you have a limited budget, I'd focus that elsewhere such as marketing or paying for posts to increase the content on the forum. If you have some excess cash going spare and you want to make your forum the best in your niche then sure, splash the cash on a custom design!

Custom theme is great in terms of that site only having that theme and no other has, however, it's not necessary in terms of what people really think or care. Rather save money than have a custom theme that I might not end up liking. Not cheap by any means. Most of the time maybe you like to change the theme every couple of years or five years. Build as you grow. I, end up paying $15 to $35 for a theme, no more. Plus support

I am a firm believer that a custom theme is not something that is needed or necessary when you open up a forum. Something free would work out really well or even something paid that was within your budget as well.

I always say it is the content and the quality of the content on your forum that determines your forum's success and not what theme you chose and whether it is unique.

If further down the line you want to pay for a unique theme for your forum, that is a choice you could make but it is not something that is needed starting out.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds