Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Choosing a domain

Martee

Mythical member
Credits
For myself, I would have to say choosing a domain is one of the hardest parts of setting up a new site. It has to sound right, be beneficial in terms of SEO whilst still being attractive to users.

Mostly, I would go with what I think just sounds right instead of worrying about anything else but in the long-run, this may be my downfall but I'm silly like that. How do you choose a domain?

Advertisement Placeholder
It has to sound right, be beneficial in terms of SEO whilst still being attractive to users.
And it should be available! :/
Choosing the right domain is difficult indeed. But what I find most frustrating is, choosing a domain name and finding it "not available" :(
Most of the good domain names are already taken!

I try and make my forum and website names unique, so domains have never been that big of a problem for me really. It is quite a pain in the ass when the domain name you wanted is taken though...

I probably spend weeks (maybe longer) thinking of a good domain, If I've got plans to create a site, I'm constantly subconsciously pinging ideas around in my head; if you've got a bad domain, then your site is already of to a bad start.

For my forum, the choice was simple, just call it what it is and that's a ChatLounge. To make sure I got the domain name, I tacked on BB after Chatlounge and was good to go.

If I were planning an informational blog, I would probably focus more on a keyword rich domain rather than a catchy title.

I don't think a lot when it comes to domains. The domain name is not all that important. I just think of a couple questions before doing it:

- Can it help with SEO?
- Is it easy to remember?
- Is it professional(Not childish)?
- Is the domain taken(is name taken)?

I don't think a lot when it comes to domains. The domain name is not all that important. I just think of a couple questions before doing it:

- Can it help with SEO?
- Is it easy to remember?
- Is it professional(Not childish)?
- Is the domain taken(is name taken)?
I will actually have to disagree with you on this one.
Domain name is important.
In fact actually its one of the most basic but yet important part.

The list you have given is the reasons for its importance!
No one will want to go to a website with domain name alfjebehjvrdglkejgnjq.mx
That website is most likely to fail.

I will actually have to disagree with you on this one.
Domain name is important.
In fact actually its one of the most basic but yet important part.

The list you have given is the reasons for its importance!
No one will want to go to a website with domain name alfjebehjvrdglkejgnjq.mx
That website is most likely to fail.

Yes I understand where your going with that but why on earth would a person pick a domain name such as "alfjebehjvrdglkejgnjq.mx".

It can be something unique and you can build on it. Look at sites like Facebook, Microsoft and Apple. They have nothing to do with internet and not really something a lot of people would have searched in the past. Another example would be EnGadget. They made their own name and it is huge at the moment.

Now I am not saying you need to put some random stuff. But if your ever deciding to pick a domain for webmaster site, don't worry wither it is webmasterforum.com or webmasterforums.com or webmasterbb.com and etc. Or you can come up with something original like digitalpoint.

Yes I understand where your going with that but why on earth would a person pick a domain name such as "alfjebehjvrdglkejgnjq.mx".

It can be something unique and you can build on it. Look at sites like Facebook, Microsoft and Apple. They have nothing to do with internet and not really something a lot of people would have searched in the past. Another example would be EnGadget. They made their own name and it is huge at the moment.

Now I am not saying you need to put some random stuff. But if your ever deciding to pick a domain for webmaster site, don't worry wither it is webmasterforum.com or webmasterforums.com or webmasterbb.com and etc. Or you can come up with something original like digitalpoint.
But if you think again, microsoft, apple, facebook etc are their company names. If you have a company and you need a domain name for that, you must go with the company name. These keyword rules don't apply to them. You should be looking into a future where your company name would become a keyword.

I was actually referring to the scenario where you would need to start a blog or some similar websites which intends to bring traffic and all those basic stuffs. In that case domain name plays a major role.

But if you don't look forward to do easy stuffs and plan to work really hard yes Gytix, I would have to agree with your point. You make the reputation for your website. But trust me its a real long and hard way!

Actually I do have experience for this. See this phrase "awesome techs" in google search give my website a close second! :D Once it was the first though! The domain name for the website is one of my previous handles!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds