Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Bumping threads

Website
agoraforo.com
Credits
Bumping threads is a feature an admin can do when there's a thread buried down the list where there is little to no interaction on. I have installed an add on for this on this forum and occasionally do this myself. I don't understand why XenForo does not have this feature standard packed.

There's also another side to bumping. If a member replies to a topic where there hasn't been a reply on for a long time. In many cases, for months to even years when the community has been around for a long time.

What's your opinion on this? Do you find it annoying? Do you allow it as an admin or would rather close the thread and start a new one?

Advertisement Placeholder
I find it cuts various ways depending on the exact situation.

If it's a years-old topic that's - miraculously - still relevant, go for it. Fill your boots, as they say. But for a lot of things, especially tech support, what *seems* like it's relevant and related, may not be.

If it's a new topic that's being bumped because the poster is task-focused and wants an answer but one hasn't appeared quickly enough, that's just annoying.

I think there are times that a topic can be raised up if it's still relevant but dropped off the immediate radar and is deserving of a signal boost, but it's so situational I don't think I could give you any kind of 'when it's like this...' - but it rarely annoys me if it's done with care.

I don't mind users bumping threads at all when there is still valuable content in the thread and is still discussion-worthy. I think it's better than creating duplicate topics on the same exact subject. Of course, this may not apply to all threads, for instance, a news thread that was old news from a long time ago and is no longer relevant.

I rarely use the moderation bump thread option.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds