Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Becoming staff for the title

Advertisement Placeholder
There have been people who have sent me messages asking to be staff for that reason.

I politely decline their request.

Most are not very active. I definitely welcome people asking. It's like asking for a job in some cases but at least show me you have a good track record on the forum.

I've had people want to be staff and specifically want "admin" as their title. Even when they were only moderators.

I haven't came across this on my communities. If I knew that's why the member was wanting to join the staff, I would definitely decline their staff application. You'll need staff you can rely on, and if a member is just wanting to join staff for the title they most likely will not stick around or help out on the forum.

I haven't came across this on my communities. If I knew that's why the member was wanting to join the staff, I would definitely decline their staff application. You'll need staff you can rely on, and if a member is just wanting to join staff for the title they most likely will not stick around or help out on the forum.
I would also always assume people who want the title are also going to be the biggest control freaks of the community - the type that get on ego trips and what not.

This used to be pretty common, especially back in the day when social media wasn't the phenomenon it is today and forums were the cool places to be amongst teenagers. I feel that's changed now that forums are mostly popular amongst adults however you're always going to have that one person who hasn't fully grown up and loves the idea of being "above" other users. From my experience, it's pretty easy to catch them out as they usually just sign up to the forum (some don't even bother doing that) and instantly ask to be made staff. Trust is extremely important and you can't trust someone you haven't even communicated with before unless someone else you trust has given them a good word.

All you can do is politely decline their request or if you're desperate, offer them a trial position with fewer permissions to see how they get on.

I've found the best staff members to be those who don't ask to be staff and are actively helping you grow your forum at their own will. My best advice would therefore be to ask those who have made positive contributions to your forum and are active if they'd be interested in a staff position. They're the ones who are genuinely interested in your community and will make a positive difference.

We have recently offered forum mergers, part of that is the promise of the admin of the forum merging in with us is they become staff, one guy was interested, he was activeish and his quiet forum did offer something my forum doesn't so thought I'd give it a go. After his area had been up a few days, I messaged him to say if he wants his area to get posts, he'll need to do some topics to get people interested. He deleted himself. Pretty sure he just wanted to be on our stuff. He was a muppet :oops:

We have recently offered forum mergers, part of that is the promise of the admin of the forum merging in with us is they become staff, one guy was interested, he was activeish and his quiet forum did offer something my forum doesn't so thought I'd give it a go. After his area had been up a few days, I messaged him to say if he wants his area to get posts, he'll need to do some topics to get people interested. He deleted himself. Pretty sure he just wanted to be on our stuff. He was a muppet :oops:
That's quite interesting! Maybe he thought he wanted it, but then changed his mind? I can also see what you're saying though is where he just wanted to be on your stuff... It is interesting!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds