Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Are targeted ads even ethical?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
Is it ethical for companies to use user data for targeted advertising? Should users have more control over their data?

I'd love to know what your opinion is on this matter!

Advertisement Placeholder
Personally.. for my site... I don't use ANY ad service provider. If I did anything, it would be offering ads for specific vendors that I could vet before offering them on the site.
As for user targeted advertising.. if one is going to offer ads, it's probably much more appreciated by the end user that the ads actually be about something they are interested in. If I'm interested in astronomy...I probably don't care about what plants to put into the ground when.
Of course, my site is still a hobbyist site that is 100% financed out of my hip pocket... so I really don't worry about ads.

I actually wish Adsense had non-targeted ads. I personally don't like the tracking, but I also don't find targeted ads very appealing as 9 out of 10 times they are showing a product that I just searched or looked at and I likely don't need to "discover" it as a new option to buy.

I actually wish Adsense had non-targeted ads. I personally don't like the tracking, but I also don't find targeted ads very appealing as 9 out of 10 times they are showing a product that I just searched or looked at and I likely don't need to "discover" it as a new option to buy.
That's what kills me about AdSense ads, it shows you what you've already bought or searched for.

Now I have a feeling AI is going to change this. I am sure AI will be able to predict what you want to buy based on how fast it will be able to determine your behavior on search.

But again... is that even ethical?

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds