Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Are Businesses Obliged To Delete Personal Data Of Customers?

Good-Person

Captain Junkie
Credits
There are many businesses that tend to collect the personal data of many customers. They claim that they use this data for marketing purpose only. Many customers may not be willing to provide sensitive information. However, many businesses even claim that they delete the data of customers after some time period. So, is this really the case? Are they obliged to delete personal data of customers?

Advertisement Placeholder
Yes, you some business should realize that certain customers of theirs after a particular of time for example I overheard some time ago that Gmail said they were going to delete some accounts of people that been opening it for over 5 years things like that.

I think it's fine to delete personal data of customers if they; Have not used their account in years, haven't purchased anything/used the site since sign up, and if they ask for it to be removed. There's also rules in some countries that requires you to delete personal date when askes. It's why whenever someone decides they want their info removed, I usually go ahead and do that for them.

It is up to the customers to decide whether they are going to provide you their personal data for you to have in your business and if it gets to the point where they are no longer interested in having those data available for your business, they have the right to ask for you to delete them and you're also are expected to do so.

But in a situation whereby your customers didn't ask for you to delete their data which you have in your system, I don't see any reason why you should delete them because you can always have need for it for your business marketing purposes.

I think it's fine to delete personal data of customers if they; Have not used their account in years, haven't purchased anything/used the site since sign up, and if they ask for it to be removed. There's also rules in some countries that requires you to delete personal date when askes. It's why whenever someone decides they want their info removed, I usually go ahead and do that for them.

Well, there are many companies that certainly do claim that they supposedly delete the data of the customers after a specific time period. However, I do not think that they are being honest about it. I would certainly be quite reluctant to provide my personal data to companies, no matter how popular the company may seem.

If a contract is involved and states that it will be deleted, then it should be otherwise it is up to the business to decide on those policies as a blanket term. Some do not state this though so it is always best to ask.

If a contract is involved and states that it will be deleted, then it should be otherwise it is up to the business to decide on those policies as a blanket term. Some do not state this though so it is always best to ask.

Well, many businesses do claim that they delete the data of customers. However, the reality is that no one knows what goes "behind the scenes" in any kind of business organisation. This is why people should be careful before sending any kind of data to any kind of company.

It depends on a lot of factors. For instance, telecommunication companies can keep their customer's data as long as they want, banks also retain customers' data, even when the customers are no longer performing transactions. Your phone number and address might be kept by your grocery store for qyick delievery.

Well, many businesses do claim that they delete the data of customers. However, the reality is that no one knows what goes "behind the scenes" in any kind of business organisation. This is why people should be careful before sending any kind of data to any kind of company.

Personally, I wouldn't have anything to do with a shady business because they are the type of business that you're referring to. They are capable of lying they have deleted when you asked but they are still keeping it stored in another place for any other reasons they have it for.

Personally, I wouldn't have anything to do with a shady business because they are the type of business that you're referring to. They are capable of lying they have deleted when you asked but they are still keeping it stored in another place for any other reasons they have it for.

It is very important to detect such kind of businesses and the customer must also be smart enough in order to identify such kind of shady businesses. Many shady businesses usually misuse the information of customers. In that case, they must report such kind of shady businesses to authorities.

How the business got their customer's data will say a lot on if the customers have the right to ask for their data to delete from the business recored. If they obtained the data without the consent of the customers are bound by law to delete it on request.

How the business got their customer's data will say a lot on if the customers have the right to ask for their data to delete from the business recored. If they obtained the data without the consent of the customers are bound by law to delete it on request.

The main problem here is the fact that once you give your personal details to a business, then it would be really hard for you to get it deleted, even if the local laws require the business to delete your personal data. Once they receive your data, there is no way to make sure that they will actually delete it.

The main problem here is the fact that once you give your personal details to a business, then it would be really hard for you to get it deleted, even if the local laws require the business to delete your personal data. Once they receive your data, there is no way to make sure that they will actually delete it.
If the business data base can be checked by the order of court or any other authority enforcing it, it can be checked if the business deleted the data or not. The way they may still have access to it would be if they stored the data in another third party storage.

It is very important to detect such kind of businesses and the customer must also be smart enough in order to identify such kind of shady businesses. Many shady businesses usually misuse the information of customers. In that case, they must report such kind of shady businesses to authorities.

It is just like what happened with Facebook and the case which the company was sued because of how they made use of their uses data without their permission. And right now people are entitled to claim damages to what Facebook did with their data some years ago. I believe that there are so many other businesses out there that are doing the same thing but they are not caught yet.

There are many businesses that tend to collect the personal data of many customers. They claim that they use this data for marketing purpose only. Many customers may not be willing to provide sensitive information. However, many businesses even claim that they delete the data of customers after some time period. So, is this really the case? Are they obliged to delete personal data of customers?

I don't care much about how businesses try to handle data of customers, but as long as they are not selling it to third parties, I see nothing wrong with what they do with it. Those data can be used to make management decisions where it is necessary too.

I don't care much about how businesses try to handle data of customers, but as long as they are not selling it to third parties, I see nothing wrong with what they do with it. Those data can be used to make management decisions where it is necessary too.

Seriously, this have been the constant worries of most customers with business and companies that collect their data. Some of them don't even know their data are being collected without their permission and that's legally wrong. It's practically the reason why some use VPN but some of these VPN does the same thing too.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds