Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

An all in one Directory List

Advertisement Placeholder
I remember back in 2009 and before that, I used to submit to link directories all the time and back then, it did help a lot.

Link directories don't seem to be as popular as they were anymore but I do wonder if anyone still uses them and if they have helped.

It is great to see this place still up and running though!

Well, I am no longer a fan of link directory. I believe that link directory submission for SEO no longer works.
It depends on what the purpose of the link directory is. You specifically mention SEO. Not everyone utilizes link directories for SEO pursuits.
Some use them for what they actually were designed for originally... a compiled list of sites in specific categories in a centralized repository.
This one is a perfect case. It was not targeted for SEO purposes at all, but a world wide directly of astronomy clubs and public observatories.
https://astrowhat.com/link-directory/categories/astronomy-clubs-observatories.8/

Link directories don't seem to be as popular as they were anymore but I do wonder if anyone still uses them and if they have helped.
Surprisingly, a low traffic site like mine is getting views and clicks from the directory listing I have compiled. So apparently there are some that still will utilize them.
In a lot of ways, it's easier using one of them than using a search engine.

Surprisingly, a low traffic site like mine is getting views and clicks from the directory listing I have compiled. So apparently there are some that still will utilize them.
In a lot of ways, it's easier using one of them than using a search engine.
This is interesting to know! I have always hesitated using link directories recently as I didn't know they would still be much use. May have to start using them again :)

This is interesting to know! I have always hesitated using link directories recently as I didn't know they would still be much use. May have to start using them again :)
It ultimately depends on the end purpose of the link directory. If it is (as has been commented on) a pursuit for SEO benefits, frequently those type of directories end up being trash as many of them are/were spun up in the SEO marketing hey-days to get money.
If it is one that is related to a niche like mine or others that can utilize one, they are usually a little higher quality links. And that is usually because the entries are made by users that are interested in the niche and not by webmasters/admins that are concerned with driving traffic to a site.
It is like any tool. A tool can be used for what it was intended, or forced into another use that works, but was never it's intent.
Several of my link directory listings are showing up in Google Analytics and Google Search. So they aren't being ignored.
They are driving traffic to MY site, and then from there to the site they link to.

Dang this website is 21 years old! It's interesting to see it's still around, though it looks like it might not be well maintained since some of the links no longer work. I'm still going to have to look through the links and try to find some that still work.
Several of them that I tried were dead.
I do get a kick out of the fact that a LARGE portion of the listed ones want you to pay money to them apparently to create an entry.
I miss the wild old days of the internet when information was supposed to be free.

Just for grins & giggles, looked at one of the "top" ones terms.
Have some concern about this, and so should anyone that prefers to keep content on site.
  1. To grant royalty-free license to use, publish, copy, edit, modify, or create derivative works from this submission.

Are they talking about the link alone? Or the material the link leads to?

Last edited:
It ultimately depends on the end purpose of the link directory. If it is (as has been commented on) a pursuit for SEO benefits, frequently those type of directories end up being trash as many of them are/were spun up in the SEO marketing hey-days to get money.
If it is one that is related to a niche like mine or others that can utilize one, they are usually a little higher quality links. And that is usually because the entries are made by users that are interested in the niche and not by webmasters/admins that are concerned with driving traffic to a site.
It is like any tool. A tool can be used for what it was intended, or forced into another use that works, but was never it's intent.
Several of my link directory listings are showing up in Google Analytics and Google Search. So they aren't being ignored.
They are driving traffic to MY site, and then from there to the site they link to.
I definitely think a targeted and unique link directory (Eg. like yours for a very specific astronomy audience) is great.

Not sure general directories are useful anymore. I remember the days of Yahoo directories and GEocities directories, so fun

I definitely think a targeted and unique link directory (Eg. like yours for a very specific astronomy audience) is great.

Not sure general directories are useful anymore. I remember the days of Yahoo directories and GEocities directories, so fun
Yeah, general directories aren't what they used to be. They started out as "good"... then became a money making proposition.
It's a lot easier to do a google search now, even for niche field stuff like mine. But with a niche LD, generally those creating the entries have an interest in the field and will post quality sites.
It's been years and years since I looked at a general purpose link directory.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds