Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

A Different Opinion

flame

Reputable member
Credits
could people cast their eyes over www.adifferentopinion.net/forum for me please - i know there are no threads yet - launch is sunday 1st april, and i will be doing those (with hopefully some help) during pre-launch next week - all i am after now is a checking over of general appearance, logo, layout etc etc

much appreciated

Advertisement Placeholder
Ok- Here is my helpful criticism- hopefully you find some ideas from it :)

Well I could tell straight away it was a Mybb based board- I don't think this is a good thing. You want to have such an awesome theme on your site that no-one can tell the software until looking at the footer. The theme you have chosen is basically a colour rewrite of the default theme with stats on the site.... I think a theme with a proper nav bar would look ten times better.

I still think the background bubble for the logo isn't right. You could also have the "A Different Opinion" outside to the right of the logo.

I dislike the "Testing" board...... And I think the top should be a News and Information board, then a Help and Feedback board and then an intro board- that's just how I like it though :p

I like the number of main boards you have and how you've organized that part of the forum- can't say much there :)

A theme idea: http://www.awesomestyles.com/mybb-themes/view/myred in a blue could suit... or if you like the brown- change it to that.

Good Luck! :D

the testing board will be disappearing before launch - that is just for me to play on to see how things look when i add mods and stuff - so the top board will be rules and announcements which i would guess is news and information by another name lol - the main rules will be fixed to the top as will a thread on "netiquette" to cover such things as not typing in capitals etc (yes i know its old hat to some of us but there are still complete internet virgins discovering the web everyday)

the theme is an official one of the mess i came up with trying to produce one myself lol - having put in lots of effort changing another theme and ending up with shall we say debatable results i found that one. i will have a look at the one you suggest tomorrow and see if i can play - i am enjoying an excellent bottle of red tonight and my design works is bad enough when not on the wine.

the logo - hhhhmmmm - it exists in several formats including one with the writing as you suggest - and opinions are equally split lol - so end of the day i am going to go with what pleases me - which could be anything lol. i will be putting a welcome message to the right of the logo which should balance it a bit.

i am hopeful that enough work will give it wings - i have ideas for starter threads buzzing around my head (does anyone have a pop up blocker for dreams - the other night i am not kidding i kept getting pop ups in my dreams) and some add ons i intend using - i am working off my knowledge of what worked on the forum of the same name previously - this time i will have the freedom to take it where i want which i did not have before - now it is mine in a way it was not before

the testing board will be disappearing before launch - that is just for me to play on to see how things look when i add mods and stuff - so the top board will be rules and announcements which i would guess is news and information by another name lol - the main rules will be fixed to the top as will a thread on "netiquette" to cover such things as not typing in capitals etc (yes i know its old hat to some of us but there are still complete internet virgins discovering the web everyday)

the theme is an official one of the mess i came up with trying to produce one myself lol - having put in lots of effort changing another theme and ending up with shall we say debatable results i found that one. i will have a look at the one you suggest tomorrow and see if i can play - i am enjoying an excellent bottle of red tonight and my design works is bad enough when not on the wine.

the logo - hhhhmmmm - it exists in several formats including one with the writing as you suggest - and opinions are equally split lol - so end of the day i am going to go with what pleases me - which could be anything lol. i will be putting a welcome message to the right of the logo which should balance it a bit.

i am hopeful that enough work will give it wings - i have ideas for starter threads buzzing around my head (does anyone have a pop up blocker for dreams - the other night i am not kidding i kept getting pop ups in my dreams) and some add ons i intend using - i am working off my knowledge of what worked on the forum of the same name previously - this time i will have the freedom to take it where i want which i did not have before - now it is mine in a way it was not before

Sounds good- I'm just offering my opinion. Some things you may find helpful, my other ideas you may not- you may have a specific reason for doing something that I don't know about.... :D

all opinions are appreciated - i just like responding to each point - then i discover the bits i dont have specific reasons for which are the bits i probably need to look at again lol

OK the forum is now in pre launch - i would be incredibly grateful if a few people could answer a post or two as a make them because i am useless at arguing with myself in a convincing manor.

also if anyone has a wish to be naughty they are welcome to do before sunday the first so i can test the moderation tools etc

I tried to register but the password I chose was not complex enough :p
I think you need to reduce the password difficulty level!

The theme is too plain and not eye catchy.

i have the password set as must contain at least one upper case letter, at least one lower case letter and at least one number as i prefer people to be secure - its a balancing act. if you allow simple passwords people then get their accounts hacked (normally by peed off romatic exs) and then give you a load of grief about it. yes i know if someone uses "password" as a password it is their own silly fault if someone else gets in but that does not stop them giving me serious amounts of hassle and panicking everyone else on the site - admin pointing out that their password was too simple does nothing to calm things down.

i am happy with the theme for now - it is restful and different from most of the other forums i can find offering similar and sometimes different is all that is needed. i will probably work on a totally custom theme slowly using feedback from the site.

i hope you like making old ladies cry :p that is an excellent suggestion and one i will follow up only i know its going to mean hunting down files to find out where to make the alterations lol

actually it is already there you have to hover the mouse over password - i will go and see if i can find the actual folder to change the title

lol! :p
btw I actually tried hovering over. It didn't come for me because, I simply hovered over it very fast and the hovering works only for the word "complex"! :/

nope not a chance - i can find the file but it is php - i can just about muddle through html and css - i havent the foggiest how to change php

lol! :p
btw I actually tried hovering over. It didn't come for me because, I simply hovered over it very fast and the hovering works only for the word "complex"! :/
hopefully ordinary joes will hover a bit longer longer - although i think i can make the whole phrase a hover thing - i can work that out in php i think lol

i would love to take credit for that but if i have i dont know how or what i did lol

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds