Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Locking Old Topics

Credits
Some website owners prefer to lock older topics to prevent users replying to older threads for a number of reasons. This includes discussions already having enough replies for the OP, OP being active and many more reasons. Do you lock older topics, if so what is your reasoning for doing so?

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't tend to lock older topics as I always like to keep them open and available for activity if the topic in question could still be relevant at some point.

The only time you would find that I tend to lock a topic on a forum is if the discussion has gotten out of hand and locking it is the better option to prevent it getting further out of hand.

I would close it depending on the nature of the thread/topic.
If the content is outdated, It should definitely be closed.

Sometimes the thread starter request it to be closed.

I also perceive very long threads to be difficult to keep track on what's going on in the conversation.
(and many of them end up with off-topic conversations)

I don't agree with locking up threads unless the thread has become toxic or members are requesting it be locked. If the thread is still relevant for debates or discussion, I personally would not go out of my way to lock it up. Someone will eventually revive the subject. I see it done all of the time on forums.

I do not lock topics that are still relevant, in fact I discourage users to create new topics on topics that are already posted. I will lock topics only when the discussion becomes outdated. I do not see why a topic that is in ever green topic should be locked.

It is good to lock topics that are no longer relevant. However, I do not think it is appropriate to lock a topic that is still relevant. Age should not determine whether the topic should be locked or not.

I don’t lock old topics. I keep them open in case users want to respond to them and add to the discussion. I’ll only lock a topic that’s breaking the forum’s rules.

I don’t lock old topics, I keep them open just in case someone wants to reply to it. I think it’s better to keep an old thread open so then there’s less of a chance of duplicate threads.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 8)

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds