Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General Link Rot

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.

Ravenfreak

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
About a couple of hours ago I watched a video on Youtube where this guy tried to find the original image source of a meme, but couldn't find it. He brought up link rot, and honestly I never really gave it much thought until now. Just think of all the websites, and files that were lost to time. I think a lot of us here have websites that we'll never be able to fully experience again. Sure you can go to the Wayback archive and see anything that was captured in that moment of time, but any images or links that were shared from outside sources are most likely gone. This phenomenon is just going to get worse because people rely too much on Discord to host their communities these days, and all of that information shared on places like Discord will eventually be lost to time much like the links that are gone due to link rot. Anyways I thought it was a interesting topic to bring up here, because I haven't really seen many people talking about it in webmaster communities. To me this is just another great example of why forums are still needed and are the most valuable way to share information online. But even then those forums can eventually be taken offline whether it's due to the admin losing interest, passing away, or hosting issues. I suppose link rot is inevitable online, but is there anyway to fully prevent it from happening?

This is why I always host forum files on the same server my board is hosted on.

I use the Wayback Machine to find old themes from ZetaBoards to convert to Jcink, but many are lost or hard to find.

I think it's impossible to 100% cure this online disease due to policy changes in file hosting sites where many files are free to upload but have a period they are hosted for or the service becomes paid. Then all the free files go out the window.

There are probably similar services to the Wayback Machine, but I think it's likely the most comprehensive online web archive.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor