Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

What Should I Do?

Collin

Recognized member
Website
www.andersonhs.com
Credits
So recently I created a computer help forum, and I was having issues with the mail servers. So I turned off the activation emails. That was when I had about 7 members. I can't access the site directly since I last left it (about a month ago). I used a proxy to view the site and it's become a spamming disaster. There are now 155 members, and all I see is spam. I tried to login through the proxy, but MyBB doesn't allow that to be possible for some reason. I do have FTP access. Should I wipe it and start over? Or should I keep trying to login and disable registration and close the board? See if you guys can access it. I have no clue what to do.

http://www.mypcforce.com/

Advertisement Placeholder
You could wait until you can access the site yourself and clean up all the spam, but that could take a bit of time. Other than that, all you can really do is start again. I'd also contact your host about the mail server problems and get them sorted so it doesn't happen again.

The forum has 114 posts, so I guess it wouldn't take such a long time to delete all the spam manually. And I don't understand why you're not able to access the site?
What is the error it gives you when you try to access it?

If it's possible, I'd close the board down until you handle all the spam.

Also, most proxy sites block cookies. There should be an option allow cookies temporarily or something like that.

And have you contacted the host to see why you can't access the site?

The forum has 114 posts, so I guess it wouldn't take such a long time to delete all the spam manually. And I don't understand why you're not able to access the site?
What is the error it gives you when you try to access it?
My computer won't even connect. I've tried others in my house, as well as some at the local library. The members grew again since when I posted this. I really don't think that it's my ISP, because I've tried it at the library, at a friends house, on my cell phone using data, but none of them work. According to IsItDownRightNow.com, the site is running. What I'll try to do now is download UltraSurf and see if I can login that route. With the other proxies that I used, MyBB wouldn't allow me to login because it said something like Use Member Login Page or something like that.

If that doesn't fail, I think that I can access the MyBB settings file through FTP and temporarily close the board until I can access it again.

If it's possible, I'd close the board down until you handle all the spam.

Also, most proxy sites block cookies. There should be an option allow cookies temporarily or something like that.

And have you contacted the host to see why you can't access the site?
I'll try to shut it down through FTP, but the host has like no support. I don't have the money to pay for hosting, which is what I deserve with free hosting. All of the free host sites don't really have support; they link to another hosts support, and when I contact them, they say that they cannot help me because they have no affiliation with that service. I think I tried allowing cookies, but I'll try again.

Last edited by a moderator:
My computer won't even connect. I've tried others in my house, as well as some at the local library. The members grew again since when I posted this. I really don't think that it's my ISP, because I've tried it at the library, at a friends house, on my cell phone using data, but none of them work. According to IsItDownRightNow.com, the site is running. What I'll try to do now is download UltraSurf and see if I can login that route. With the other proxies that I used, MyBB wouldn't allow me to login because it said something like Use Member Login Page or something like that.

If that doesn't fail, I think that I can access the MyBB settings file through FTP and temporarily close the board until I can access it again.

I'll try to shut it down through FTP, but the host has like no support. I don't have the money to pay for hosting, which is what I deserve with free hosting. All of the free host sites don't really have support; they link to another hosts support, and when I contact them, they say that they cannot help me because they have no affiliation with that service. I think I tried allowing cookies, but I'll try again.
Could you try to use any of the public DNS?

I just got done fixing the spam issue. I used UltraSurf to access the site, login, delete the spam, and close the board. However, I'm still not sure why I can't access the site. I did some research and it said that it could be the host blocking a particular area, such as all of the IPs in my area, forbidding access to the site. Thank you all for your help! :)

Hey Collin.

I would really try and contact the host and tell them you are unable to connect yo your site. Make sure to provide your IP.
Are you currently using a free host? If so then that may be why they have IP restrictions. Your only option may be to switch to paid hosting or move to another host.

Some host might have restricted your IP. This once happen to me when I tried access the control panel from an internet cafe so the host restrictedd my ip from access to avoid compromise. They assume someone else got in. Contact your host.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds