Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

What is Easy to Use Free Forum Software

Nomad

Service Team
Service Team
Thread Starter Posting Machine 1-Year Membership Webmaster
Credits
There are numerous open source forum software that you can use for free to build your community. I have tried numerous free forum software like MyBB, PhpBB, SMF, etc. Based on my experience SMF is the easiest to use frum software, where as PhpBB is a little complicated to use. What do you think?

Advertisement Placeholder
MyBB can be easy, but the theming can also become complicated. phpBB seems to be getting better and more user-friendly these days.

It's MyBB in my opinion and experience too.

ProBoards isn't good because you can't move your datebase when you're interested in upgrading your forum software.

It's MyBB in my opinion and experience too.

ProBoards isn't good because you can't move your database when you're interested in upgrading your forum software.
It is not limited to Proboards. Any free forum provider formation xooit or else do the same.

You can create your community for free using a variety of open source forum software. I've experimented with a lot of free forum software, including MyBB, PhpBB, and SMF. My own experience has shown that SMF is the most user-friendly free software, but PhpBB can be a little challenging. How do you feel?

I personally feel MyBB is a great alternative for free software. It's powerful, highly customizable with themes and plugins and most plugins are free and open source like the software itself. I've used both MyBB and phpBB in the past and i personally prefer MyBB to phpBB myself if I had to use self-hosted free software. MyBB is definitely my first choice. It shares similarities with vBulletin 3.x which I absolutely loved back in the day.

I'd say the most challenging part of any free forum software is ensuring the MySQL database tables are configured correctly along with the table permission set and linking this to the phpBB installation. And the next hurdle you face is knowing which phpBB version is the best to choose for your server stats that is compatible with phpBB. If you have some development knowledge, as I do, this part is reasonably straightforward but somewhat time-consuming.

myBB and phpBB have their differences, but all forum software roughly have the same backend admin panel configurations. If this is you're first time or you want to learn, buy a shared hosting plan with a domain or (host on localhost), practice the installation stages, and learn the correct way to set up permission sets on the admin panel for categories, usergroups, and add ons.

My advice, just like anything in life is that don't run before you can walk.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds