Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

XenForo AMPXF

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
I'm posting this thread to ask if anyone is using this add on and find it significantly better for their XenForo forum? I purchased a small plan a few months ago but haven't really found any improvement from it so I doubt I'll be renewing this add on.

I'm posting this thread to ask if anyone is using this add on and find it significantly better for their XenForo forum? I purchased a small plan a few months ago but haven't really found any improvement from it so I doubt I'll be renewing this add on.
I use it and whilst it's helped somewhat in SEO terms, it's not been hugely beneficial. Bit of a red herring for me, but maybe it's been far better for others.

I use it and whilst it's helped somewhat in SEO terms, it's not been hugely beneficial. Bit of a red herring for me, but maybe it's been far better for others.
Well, that’s why I posted this thread. Haven’t seen a significant change that makes the price worthwhile. Maybe I’m being inpatient? The add on promises much but sadly haven’t see what it promises.

I've honestly never been encouraged by AMP. It always felt like it was a scheme from Google to get you to play their game for their benefit, with seemingly very little in return. It always felt like a way for you to give them your content, ready optimised for their purposes with vague promises of benefits in kind.

Agreed, I think it is a bit of a gimmick more than anything. All for Google.
There was a time when AMP was the thing to do. Now I don't think so as much.

See, I don't think it ever was 'the thing to do'. I think it was Google trying to game the system for Google's benefit with any incentive for us peons to play the game never spelled out for us. Especially as it had a nasty little tendency to reduce all pages to just the barest of formatting with some mild branding - *great* for Google, not tragic if you're on mobile as a consumer because fewer ads/fewer crufty things loading, but for those of us who spent time working on branding content and building sites/communities with a distinct presence, it was awful. Lowest-common denominator stuff, applied with something of a bullying tactic.

See, I don't think it ever was 'the thing to do'. I think it was Google trying to game the system for Google's benefit with any incentive for us peons to play the game never spelled out for us.
I agree and that's what I mean, it was kind of shoved on us to do and conform.

I have found mixed reviews from clients, mostly leaning towards the "not worth it" side. Large sites with an already established search presence seemed to benefit most, where AMP just turns into another complicated distraction for small website owners who should be focusing on other areas of their business.

Instead of (trying to) outsource your site's performance to tools like AMP, make your actual website performant to begin with and skip the need for adding more band-aids to a poor foundation! I think that is the essence of what the AMP project set out to prove, and is probably not as badly needed anymore as the web gets faster.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest