Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Why do you choose to run a forum?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
For the forum owners out there, what motivates you to run/start/keep a forum? What is rewarding about the experience for you?

Reactions: Ken
Forums have always been one of my primary hobbies and I feel a great deal of satisfaction in helping people in subjects I’m knowledgeable in. You can get to know people from around the globe too, so it’s a great way to connect with strangers. Generally, I like the overall layout and atmosphere of forums more than most social medias.

I started making money from my blogs in 2017. One year later, my blog earnings were one of the biggest contributors to my monthly income. Therefore, I decided to launch forums so that I can double my income.

For me, it's building up a community of like-minded people who want to share and discuss things together. I also love that when you create a forum and create a community with it you can also build up friendships through that. I know throughout the over 10 years I have been running forums I have met so many awesome people who I now call friends, it's amazing what running a forum can bring.

On previous rp sites it was because I wanted to write something that didn't already exist OR I was mad at XYZ and didn't like said staff on the site. I've made boards out of spite before that ended up being quite successful (lol).

For the forum owners out there, what motivates you to run/start/keep a forum? What is rewarding about the experience for you?
What really motivates me to run my own forum, it's because I get a chance to meet a lot of new people when they join, engage in different topics and discussions, play all sorts of games, etc. I had one back in 2004, but folded it in 2005 until I tried it again on July 7, 2019.

When I first got on the internet (in the 90s...), I found a way to make a website on my WebTV. I made a site showing WebTV tricks that most people didn't know about.

Then I found BBS, not forums, bulletin board systems. They were kind of difficult to run and I was a kid so my resources were limited. But I loved the idea of it.

I started messing with ProBoards soon after. I was on their first server. That's how long ago that was.

Mind you, this is the age of dialup. Some of you never had to experience that horror. I even had a rotary phone at one time...

Then I used PhpBB 1.0 and eventually 2.0

The idea of forums to me was like building my own city. I loved the idea. I loved connecting with others and talking. It was way better than a chat room because the discussion is still there when you come back.

I still get that excitement on forums even now, 20+ years later. :cool:

When I first got on the internet (in the 90s...), I found a way to make a website on my WebTV. I made a site showing WebTV tricks that most people didn't know about.

Then I found BBS, not forums, bulletin board systems. They were kind of difficult to run and I was a kid so my resources were limited. But I loved the idea of it.

I started messing with ProBoards soon after. I was on their first server. That's how long ago that was.

Mind you, this is the age of dialup. Some of you never had to experience that horror. I even had a rotary phone at one time...

Then I used PhpBB 1.0 and eventually 2.0

The idea of forums to me was like building my own city. I loved the idea. I loved connecting with others and talking. It was way better than a chat room because the discussion is still there when you come back.

I still get that excitement on forums even now, 20+ years later. :cool:
I don't even know how phpBB 1 looked like. :eek:

Setting up a new forum feels like having a new car, correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

I couldn’t even do that to be fair. Never was into coding, never will be. Although I’d love to be, my mind just can’t comprehend sophisticated codes. 😅
I wish I had got into it.

Especially coding with APIs and analytical functions.

I would love to develop a nice SEO software like ahrefs or SEMrush and then sell it.

I think that is what business I'd be into, make a nice software with all the needed features, make it into a SaaS company and then flip it.

The problem with that is once you get to that point, chances are it's your baby and letting go is *hard*.
I can definitely see that.

You'd have to enter it with a business mindset. Have a goal, achieve your goal, and move on.

It would be easier if you leaned more toward the business side.

It would be harder if you leaned more toward the programmer's side.

I lean pretty hard to the programmer's side, and it is most definitely hard. But I know people who've leaned to the business side who had exactly the same separation anxiety after all the time, energy, sweat and tears. I've worked for a couple of people like that for sure.

Because of the fact I am nostalgic for forums. I like them a lot more than social media and even Discord. I can have a discussion on a forum which goes on way longer than in a Discord chat room or on social media. I also do not get told my opinion is wrong, stupid, or something else insulting all the time.

A lot of people or webmasters I should say have different reasons to why they run forums. Some of them do it for the purpose of making money, while some do it because it's something they have passion for. Personally, I do it for both money and passion.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor