Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

📢 Feedback What's New feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
Hello everyone!

I noticed the What's New page is used very frequently. I was wondering if there is enough interest to make this the default page when accessing Admin Junkies ? Please let me know your thoughts about this here. :)

Showing the latest posts., activities, and features on the hope page can help improve engagement.

Showing the latest posts., activities, and features on the hope page can help improve engagement.
True, but I have always been more fan of the traditional forum list setup. Kinda old fashioned on that side.

If I owned a community with such a feature, I personally wouldn’t make it the default page. Reason being, is because the board index gives a clear representation of what the forum has to offer and what it’s all about.

There's a lot of debate about this as a general topic, not just here.

On the one hand, presenting a list of what's new content is surprisingly popular. Many of the newer community platforms do this by default to showcase the most recent content across the platform, in the sincere belief that this is more interesting for people who discover the community when they're not discovering it by deep-linked content.

This also works if you don't have deeply nested categories, and instead have a selection of top-level categories only that you can sum up with a single word/short phrase (as you see on Discourse and Flarum navigation)

On the other hand, the highly categorised nature is good if you want to find something - but it can be off-putting for people to come in and find somewhere to go, because actually, while it seems like it might be highly structured, people aren't good at finding things by structure unless the structure is obvious, and for most large forums, this isn't necessarily so. Or at least, not obvious at a glance from an external source who might just look at it and go 'actually, nope'.

And that's before we get into the debate of 'doing something different for logged in members', where having the 'latest unread content' is infinitely more valuable than either the generic list of 'what is new' or the category listing by default.

There's a lot of debate about this as a general topic, not just here.

On the one hand, presenting a list of what's new content is surprisingly popular. Many of the newer community platforms do this by default to showcase the most recent content across the platform, in the sincere belief that this is more interesting for people who discover the community when they're not discovering it by deep-linked content.

This also works if you don't have deeply nested categories, and instead have a selection of top-level categories only that you can sum up with a single word/short phrase (as you see on Discourse and Flarum navigation)

On the other hand, the highly categorised nature is good if you want to find something - but it can be off-putting for people to come in and find somewhere to go, because actually, while it seems like it might be highly structured, people aren't good at finding things by structure unless the structure is obvious, and for most large forums, this isn't necessarily so. Or at least, not obvious at a glance from an external source who might just look at it and go 'actually, nope'.

And that's before we get into the debate of 'doing something different for logged in members', where having the 'latest unread content' is infinitely more valuable than either the generic list of 'what is new' or the category listing by default.
Beautifully explained. Thank you for that. I must admit that I rather use a traditional setup rather than a what’s new page.

I have been changing the what’s new page to contain more information the past week or so. And I have been messing around with a widget on top of the index with new content rather than have it a bit less obvious in the side bar.

I’ll post a screenshot later today so we can vote whether to have it that way or the old current way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor