Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Using AI For Graphic Designing (1 Viewer)

Nomad

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
In recent times, there has been an influx of AI tools that can generate any kind of graphics, images, art, illustrations,, etc. based on the information provided. Have you ever used AI tools for your graphic design needs? Do you think this is ethical?

Advertisement Placeholder
I have used it, several times - I will admit to being a Midjourney customer.

The thing is, what it generates isn't really usable for client work - you can't just plug in a prompt, and get a logo out. If you spend maybe an hour refining your prompt and doing 100+ renders, maybe you might get *something*. But it'll never replace the artists who can take a prompt from you and *create* something to order, not without many, many more hours.

What it does do, quite well, is allow for ideation - taking a concept and giving you something you never expected from it. Interestingly I don't think that's something a human can *necessarily* do well. Sometimes you need an external influence to generate new connections and as a vehicle for discovery by taking things I've never seen and showing them to me in new ways, that *can* be interesting.

As for it being ethical, that's a very, very different question, and a difficult one. It is of course a model trained on a volume of existing work, and doubtless at least some of it was not licensed/paid for/approved by the artist. Scraped from the web. Their core source material was produced with dubious ethics. My own stance is conflicted; I like the idea of the ideation I get out of it, but I'd also like the artists to be compensated. But I'm not using it in lieu of actual artists, I'm using it for ideation, idea generation, which where relevant I'll take to a real artist to make a final design out of. But even this eats at the concept artist tier, and will continue to eat away at the bottom-most tier of the market - the folks who aren't good enough to make it as professional artists, but whom eke out a living doing commisisons. As the technology improves, that segment will likely disappear.

Canva has AI now but I didn't really care for it when I tried it recently. I think that figuring out the right key words is essential in getting an image that you have in mind from AI.

Is it ethical? If you're not stealing someone else's work, it's fine. If it's using free clip art there isn't any law breaking or ethics issue.

AI still isn't perfected though for images because some things it can't get right, such as fingers. It often puts too many in the image or they're doing some really strange things that aren't physically possible.

It's fun to play around with, but the technology really needs to improve.

Midjourney's getting better at the fingers front, though, at least in their v5 iteration. It's kind of impressive technically, even if it still has some way to go in meeting a client brief.

I am really out of touch, I still make everything myself in paint shop pro. I will be checking this out though, sounds interesting.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 16 76.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest