Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Tricky Math Problem

Advertisement Placeholder
Order of operations doesn't explain it.
Of course it does, this is literally what this is about: the formal order of operations vs the implication given in PEDMAS/BODMAS. Multiplication and division have the same precedence, just as addition and subraction do with each other. Given equal precedence, left to right is the next order of operation.

But if you spend any time programming you *will* learn this one way or another.

Yeah, I definitely get 9, for the reasons that Arantor gave.

(Although, in the real world, no mathematician would ever write it like this! They'd write it some other way, that made it clear what they meant: for example, "3 x 12/4")

If there were any ambiguity, they’d just slap in a pair of parentheses and call it a day.

If there were any ambiguity, they’d just slap in a pair of parentheses and call it a day.
Yeah, parenthesis is needed, but students need to know that division and multiplication got equal rank and have to be evaluated from left to right, and honestly, that's something that was a surprise to me. I just don't think about it.

What's so difficult in that lol xD

1703423177155.png

I honestly don't get the problem; I was taught this order of operations more than 30 years ago in school and... it's never been a problem for me until recently when encountering people who stubbornly (and incorrectly) go strictly left to right, for whatever reason.

PEMDAS is confusing because it doesn't really state that multiplication and division have equal weight with movement from left to right determining things.
This is why you go to school.

Because your teacher will state that multiplication and division have equal weight. And then she will assign homework that reinforces this point. So in 20 years (or 30 years if you're old like Arantor 🤣), you will have a life skill to debate mathematical order of operations on a forum admin site.

This is why you go to school.

Because your teacher will state that multiplication and division have equal weight. And then she will assign homework that reinforces this point. So in 20 years (or 30 years if you're old like Arantor 🤣), you will have a life skill to debate mathematical order of operations on a forum admin site.
I doubt if many students pay attention cause math is forced, so unless they have strict parents, they don't care.

Note, with myself, I'm trying hard cause I badly want to learn it.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 75.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds