Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

The domain you wanted has been taken, what do you do?

Website
agoraforo.com
Credits
Have you ever wanted to register a domain for your website, only to find out that it's already been taken? Very frustrating to discover that the domain you had your mind set on is already in use.

If the .com version of your desired domain is taken, consider using a different extension such as .net, .org, or .co. While .com is the most popular and recognizable extension, using a different extension can still be effective.

You can also add a keyword, such as your niche or industry, to make it more unique and memorable.

Worst case scenario, reach out to the current domain owner. If the domain you want is currently being used but not actively being used, you can try reaching out to the current owner to see if they would be willing to sell it to you. You may need to negotiate a hefty price, but it's worth a shot if you're really set on the domain.

Advertisement Placeholder
I usually have enough trouble finding a name I like the sound of - but inevitably I just shrug if I can't get the .com and move on. Kinda depends though - if it's for an open source project where there's minimal risk of being confused between the two I might just go for the .org as that's usually gettable. Lots of name squatting in .com land though.

It also means I've spent time playing around more in name hack land, like I own a couple of .ly domains that one day I might get around to finishing the build for...

I would most likely look at a different suffix as a first choice, as long as it wasn't overshadowed by the website with the domain you intended to have.
My next option would probably be to see if shortening any words in the domain would work or changing the order of the words.
Lastly, I would brainstorm to see if I could come up with a similar name that I liked and would also make sense with an available domain.

While .com is the most popular and recognizable extension, using a different extension can still be effective.
But it can also be confusing for the end user. Usually when simply typing in the address, most default to trying a .COM extension.
And what's worse... usually the base domain name is going to be related to the topic... so you will frequently be competing against the .COM based site.

I'll first look for alternative domains such as a .net, .org, etc. If they're all taken, I'd brainstorm and come up with a new name or try to abbreviate the domain name. In my case, I was thinking of naming my community "TheZone", but literally everything was taken already. So I went with "TheeZone", and noticed the domain name wasn't taken so I went with it.

For me I take a look at other extensions - really the only ones Im interested in are .com, .app, .net, or .co.uk with the .co.uk really being project dependent. If I can't find the name I want in one of those I start to look for different names.

I can't get on board with the full word tlds that were introduced and I feel like I don't actually come across many sites using them anyway.

My original domain that I had in mind was a variant of PixelPoint. I owned the .net back in 2012(?) and basically all of the variants are taken or are being sold for $2,000+. Always loved the name but honestly had a hard time deciding on what would be best for me. I chose GFXStreet because I've owned the .net variant a long time ago and it was a project that I wanted to try and relive. I had a few old graphics that I could use from the previous iteration and decided that was that. A rebranding could happen in the future depending on what happens with the community but I mostly chose it for nostalgic purposes.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds