Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Reddit and their "coins"....

Tracy

Royal member
Credits
Honestly... I've been awarded several "coins" over there on posts in the Astrophotography area... but ultimately, I see that those coins are about as useless as teats on a boar hog. For admins that want to use "similar schemes"... at least make what you can buy worthwhile.
I mean really?
Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 4.34.38 AM.png

You gonna kiss me after you put it in? 🤣
I see MANY actual forums that offer WELL more than this BS to their users. Is this one more case of how much "better" those big companies are over those lowly forums? :unsure:

Last edited:
Are they trying to entice people to post more? Or can you buy the coins? They want money? I don't use Reddit to know anything about it, but to me it seems they're hurting for something and hoping people will join in.

Are they trying to entice people to post more? Or can you buy the coins? They want money? I don't use Reddit to know anything about it, but to me it seems they're hurting for something and hoping people will join in.
Apparently you can "buy" coins to award others (I've gotten quite a few on my posts) on Reddit... but what you can actually use those "coins" for is ultimately an empty item. ;)

Hell, I already get basically "free browsing" as I don't see any of their ads. and as far as showing an award on ONE post... please, give me a break!

The coins seem fairly dumb and I certainly won't be paying for them, but I actually don't mind them very much. It seems like a way for Reddit to pull in income while also not really affecting free users.

The coins seem fairly dumb and I certainly won't be paying for them, but I actually don't mind them very much. It seems like a way for Reddit to pull in income while also not really affecting free users.
That's the point.. they are as useless as teats on a boar hog... but folks continue to want to praise "Reddit" as a savior to the "forum world" and something that forums need to pursue the influence from... my point is that may forums WELL exceed the basic BS that Reddit provides their users... the simple fact is that those forums are individualistic and don't have the "mobile" interface ability that Reddit does since they are a central "repository" and forums are much more divided into individual niches.
They are trying to "suck" as much income in as possible while giving the user what amounts to "shite". Many forums offer MUCH more to their users for financial payments.

What might be interesting to do to on a forum would be to give people "tips" for posts instead of reactions (or maybe tied to reactions).
  • In addition to the "like" button there's a tip button and you can send them some "money" for their good post.
But wait isn't that what Reddit does? 🤣

Speaking of which what are the credits on this site? No idea what that is. I'll click around up there.

@Tracy - I bet it is in the end a scheme for them to earn money from people willing to spend money on their platform. I could see how no ads might be nice, I think if you're running on mobile there isn't a way to not see ads and they are in the end I think trying to appeal to more and more users on mobile. Everything else seems a bit.... strange.

@cdub In our shop we offer advertising services, and also services to customize your account. :) If you have any new suggestions of what to add we'd be all ears! :)

Wow, I just noticed that the coins aren't even something you can buy? They are only a subscription model? That seems even more awful for a useless thing.

The notion of paying per month for a service you enjoy using, preposterous, who'd even do that?

The coins are there to encourage people to pay to keep the site running. Anyone awarded with a Platinum or Gold award automatically gets a free month of reddit premium which allows them to visit a private subreddit on top of browsing the site ad free. I've never been awarded a gold or platinum award, I've received silver awards before though. :V They're practically Reddit's version of reactions.

They're reactions with a price. I suspect you might be more discerning with your reactions on a regular forum if you had to pay to give out reactions of any real value.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor