Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

✔️ Resolved Forum battles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kale

Addicted member
Retired Staff
Credits
I personally like it, but was not really a fan of having to manage a leaderboard or so. I was thinking it could be just for the heck of it and a way for the forum to have some activity too.

Edit: Yes, I think it is a bad idea.

Last edited:
I'm mixed. I've been thinking of it myself, also excluding the leader board as it's too much work for what it is really. But at the same time, they don't really add much value since it's a popularity contest rather based on actual appearance and styling, etc. So I'm still thinking what could be done to add actual value. But I agree that it can bring in some activity. So I'm gonna wait for a couple of more replies and see what the community thinks about it.

If you can find a way to make massive forums and small tiny forums compete on anything approaching a level playing field (i.e. no getting members from a forum to sign up to vote!) and you can take the energy out of it being purely a popularity contest, it's certainly possible to have an interesting battle of the boards - I think the setup you'd outlined was certainly interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

But most leaderboards end up being either a competition on numbers or a competition on popularity. :(

If you can find a way to make massive forums and small tiny forums compete on anything approaching a level playing field (i.e. no getting members from a forum to sign up to vote!) and you can take the energy out of it being purely a popularity contest, it's certainly possible to have an interesting battle of the boards - I think the setup you'd outlined was certainly interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

But most leaderboards end up being either a competition on numbers or a competition on popularity. :(
What @Kale meant is after we have the grand BOTB competition, to have smaller forum battles where polls could be attached between a few forums competing. I don't know if you had the idea what he meant, so just for the clarification, that's how they would be set up. Making a new Forum Battles forum and having smaller battles by voting. But yes, it's a popularity contest as one will vote for the person's forum of which they best get along with. It has no value and I see it all the time on other forums. Or they just randomly vote because they voted for one in a previous battle.

So perhaps we could come up with a list of things such as Best appearance, best layout, etc. and ask members to vote on the thing they are competing for. That might work, but still doesn't guarantee it won't be a popularity contest.

It's just hard to really do anything like this because it'd be a popularity contest regardless

I've personally never had any interest in anything like this, because to me forumming is just a hobby: I have no desire to turn it into a competition.

However, I can certainly see why others like it :p .

The leaderboard thing is a huge turn off too IMO. I also wouldn't wanna have to have mods or so having to update that constantly. Same with giving out the badges every single time. It's a bit of a pain IMO to do

The thing about getting people to vote from say their board to here to vote for their board is they will vote they are the best at everything even if it could be objectively shown that they are not the best. The only thing it is going to do for this board is build up the member base with zero post members or X post members with X being whatever they need for their vote to count. They are not here for you so they aren't going to care much about you as long as they can get their vote to count regardless if what they are posting adds nothing to this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest