- Thread Author
A real classic from 1939.
- Mervyn LeRoy considered having a man play Toto.
- The cowardly lion’s costume was made of a real lion skin.
- Judy Garland had to wear a super-tight corset to make her figure seem younger.
- The Tin Man’s oil was actually chocolate syrup.
- Judy Garland’s daughter, Liza Minelli, was married to Jack Haley Jr., the son of the actor who played the Tin Man.
- Toto reportedly earned $125 per week of filming—but each Munchkin actor just $50.
- The horses in the Emerald City were colored with Jell-O, which they kept trying to lick off.
- Margaret Hamilton’s copper-based green makeup could not be ingested, so she survived entirely on liquids during filming.
- The actress who voiced Disney’s Snow White made a voice cameo during the Tin Man’s “If I Only Had a Heart” (She’s the one who says, ‘Wherefore art thou, Romeo?’)
- The Wicked Witch’s death certificate is dated May 6, 1938, the 20th anniversary of L. Frank Baum’s death