Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do avatars count under an advertising rule? (1 Viewer)

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
gifgif.gif

As forum owners, we all have rules in place to regulate advertising and ensure that our communities remain relevant and engaging for our members. However, one area that can be a bit murky is whether or not avatars should be included in advertising guidelines.

On one hand, avatars can be seen as a form of self-expression and a way for members to personalize their profiles. However, they can also be used to promote products or services, which could be considered a violation of advertising rules.

So, what do you think? Should avatars be subject to advertising rules? If so, how should this be enforced and monitored? Are there certain types of avatars that should be allowed or prohibited? On the other hand, should avatars be seen as a separate entity from advertising and not subject to any rules or regulations?

Let's discuss and share our thoughts and experiences on avatars and how they fit into our forum communities.

Advertisement Placeholder
I've never considered avatars advertising even if they contain the name or logo on a site. They to me sit in that same space as you describe, of self expression and so on - and if a contributor wants to put their site's logo there, fine with me. Cost of doing business, I suppose.

Where I've always drawn the line on avatars, are inappropriate ones (e.g. adult themed, profanity etc.) or ones that contain a lot of high-speed flickering, of the kinds that can cause issues for people with photosensitivity or epilepsy.

As much as I have seen people in the past use avatars that advertise their sites I have never seen it an issue and would not remove the avatar in question because it advertised their site. I believe that avatars should be as you said, a way to express yourself and let people get to know you.

Of course, there are some lines that I would not allow to be crossed when it comes to avatars such as ones that are more adult-themed and also ones that may trigger someone's issues such as flashing avatars. Also, anything that relates to anything illegal would be a no-go as well.

For better security I would add a Module that requires the approval of avatars. It would be a bit uncomfortable but everything goes through the anti SPAM filter

Now that you've brought this up, I decided to look and see whether it's forbidden here at Admin-Junkies and I don't see it.

I don't mind having a site/business logo for an avatar at my sites because it can be considered part of that person's identity. I currently am on staff at 3 different types of sites. One is a Christian forum and most people use graphic images that pertain to their faith for their avatars on that site. The second site is a Craft site. I would welcome anyone to have their logo there to represent their crafting business and perhaps that something I should be encouraging.

The last site is very new and it's a promotion site. I expect members to fully use what they can to promote their sites there, whether it's an avatar, signature banner or a profile banner. Get into people's faces so they remember you and next time they see your logo, it's familiar.

I honestly never thought about avatars when it comes to promoting sites... I mean people advertise in their signatures so I suppose eventually I'd see someone advertising in their avatar too. :V Anyways, I don't have a problem with it. As far as I'm aware, it'll grab users attention more than a image or link in their signature.

Avatars were free game as long as they were appropriate for masses to see. I think it was a nifty idea for people to do - because some people lack creativity, but they do like representing their home base perhaps. It's just like a signature in a way.

On no site, including the anal retentive Cloud Nights, have I had an issue with my avatar.. which is the same one I use here.

This is something I've honestly never had come up :p . It is, nevertheless, covered in my Board Rules:

Personal websites/forums may be advertised in your avatar or signature - or, if you have at least 20 posts, in the "Your Sites and Forums" section. However, advertising elsewhere on the forum is forbidden - as is advertising in PMs (unless you have that person's consent).

So, at the moment, it is permitted - although if people started complaining, I may have to amend those rules.

the only time I’ve seen where having advertising in an avatar was against the rules was a promotion forum and you needed x amount of posts type of deal. Nothing wrong with it - it incentivizes it, but does sound like a hassle to monitor.

I don't have any rules against it, but I do find it in bad taste for users to put ads as their avatars. That is mostly a personal note, but in my humble opinion, avatars are basically profile pictures and should be used as such to make your profile special. Running an ad in your signature AND your avatar mostly makes you look like a walking billboard instead of a member. Generally speaking, if you go too hard into promoting your site, I actually get discouraged from visiting the site.

I've never been against it. I mean, it's not a link to their site after all, and the entirety of the profile is the main place they're allowed to advertise. So, I don't have a problem with it.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 16 76.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest