Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Alternate History (1 Viewer)

Jason

Royal member
Website
drummerlesson.com
Credits
What is some alternate history you can think of? Well, in the case of World War II, if Japan hadn't entered the war, I figure Germany would have been defeated by 1943, assuming the US would have entered the war in late 1941. Of course, it does sound America-centric, but the industrial capacity of the US was unmatchable.

Advertisement Placeholder
If Japan hadn't entered the war, why would America join on a combatant basis? The only reason they joined in 1941 was *because* of the Japan incursion at Pearl Harbour. No Japan involvement (at least as an active combatant), means there would need to be a different reason for the US to join as an active combatant - and while there were certainly military vessels in the Atlantic, I'm not sure it would have been enough to pull the US in actively.

In which case, barring - say - a German attack on US naval supply vessels, Britain would probably be defeated by 1943, 1944 at the latest, having been effectively sieged; though that assumes the supply lines from the US aren't a trigger for US involvement... could have gone either way there. While military forces out in north Africa had significant success pushing back on the Western front, and of course Russia on the eastern front, that only works all the time Britain has enough supplies domestically. Churchill knew about Pearl Harbour before it happened - and didn't tell the US, to 'encourage' them to join in fully...

@Arantor Well, even if Pearl Harbor didn't shock US into war, the fact remains the US supplied the Allies with war materials, so like with World War I, joining the war was inevitable at some point. However, had Japan not been in it, all resources of the US could have been focused on Europe and North Africa.

America of the 1930s wasn't like America of today; it was much more isolationist. Happy to sell arms, materials etc to its allies but fairly adamantly not getting involved. Precisely *because* of their experiences after WWI they were isolationist.

After WWI, Germany was ordered to pay a considerable sum of money in reparations, money it claimed it could not afford (and this may well have been correct based on studies at teh time), and so the US and others lent it money to pay. (This sum was, eventually, paid off in 2010.)

When the Weimar government collapsed in the early 1920s leading to rampant hyperinflation, Germany obviously couldn't pay back the loans - it was a partial cause of what would go on to a global economic downturn by the end of the 1920s and into the 1930s, not least felt in America. It was certainly a popular view at the time that America should not get involved in the world's business - no small part of why the US didn't join WWII as a combatant until two full years had passed.

There's no 'it was inevitable' about them joining the Allies' war effort directly, as far as I'm concerned.

Happy to sell arms, materials etc to its allies but fairly adamantly not getting involved.
You can't sell arms and not think you're involved. I can see the German POV on that in both wars.

When the Weimar government collapsed in the early 1920s leading to rampant hyperinflation, Germany obviously couldn't pay back the loans - it was a partial cause of what would go on to a global economic downturn by the end of the 1920s and into the 1930s, not least felt in America.
Oddly enough, Germany nearly won World War I, but the US intervention stopped it. In fact, in Russia, the newly empowered Communists signed a surrender.

You can't sell arms and not think you're involved.
There is a reason I specifically qualified it as 'active combatant'. Selling arms to one side or the other does not qualify you as an active combatant.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 16 76.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest