Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Advantages and disadvantages of PC gaming? (1 Viewer)

Kale

Addicted member
Retired Staff
Credits
PC gaming has become increasingly popular in recent times, with many gamers opting to play their favorite titles on a computer rather than a console. While there are certainly advantages to PC gaming, there are also some disadvantages to consider. In this thread, let's discuss the pros and cons of PC gaming and share our experiences.

Advantages of PC Gaming:

• Better graphics and performance: One of the biggest advantages of PC gaming is the ability to run games at higher graphical settings and frame rates than consoles. A high-end gaming PC can provide much better visuals and smoother gameplay than a console.
  • Customization: PC gamers have the ability to customize their gaming experience to suit their preferences. They can adjust graphics settings, use mods to modify games, and customize controls to their liking.
  • Access to a wide range of games: While consoles have a selection of exclusive titles, PC gamers have access to a wider range of games thanks to the vast library of games available on platforms like Steam.
  • Upgradability: PC gamers can upgrade their hardware over time to keep up with the latest games and technology. This allows them to get better performance without having to buy a whole new system.

Disadvantages of PC Gaming:

• Higher cost: Building a gaming PC can be expensive, especially if you want high-end components. Consoles are often cheaper in comparison, making them a more accessible option for many gamers.
  • Technical knowledge required: PC gaming requires some technical knowledge to get started. You need to know how to build a PC, install drivers, and troubleshoot issues that may arise.
  • Compatibility issues: Not all games are compatible with all hardware configurations, and some games may have issues running on certain PCs.
  • Online community: While PC gaming has a large and active online community, it can also be a toxic and hostile environment at times.

What are your thoughts on PC gaming? Have you experienced any of these advantages or disadvantages?

Advertisement Placeholder
You only really need a gaming PC if you're playing high-end gaming. But there's so many indie games coming out that don't need high-end PCs and any old potato will do for the most part. I think it's hard to understand how vast Steam's library really is at this point for gaming; literally thousands of games come out each year - dozens * every day*. So many it's impossible to keep up. If anything the hard part is finding the good stuff, not that there isn't good stuff to find out there.

You only really need a gaming PC if you're playing high-end gaming. But there's so many indie games coming out that don't need high-end PCs and any old potato will do for the most part. I think it's hard to understand how vast Steam's library really is at this point for gaming; literally thousands of games come out each year - dozens * every day*. So many it's impossible to keep up. If anything the hard part is finding the good stuff, not that there isn't good stuff to find out there.
Yep, indeed. Also fair warning I wanted to test this thread with ChatGPT and some of it is on point IMO. :p

• Compatibility issues: Not all games are compatible with all hardware configurations, and some games may have issues running on certain PCs.
  • Online community: While PC gaming has a large and active online community, it can also be a toxic and hostile environment at times.

IMO, this kind of a moot point.

New games coming out are pretty much compatible with all forms of hardware, save for being powerful enough for running the game. You are only going to run into problems with some older games that haven't been updated.

As for the toxicity, that is really game dependent. The same could be said for console players.

Last edited:
I wanted to test this thread with ChatGPT
Well, the fairly repetitive nature of its content is very typical for asking ChatGPT for such comparisons. I guessed it was but it didn't seem particularly relevant to point it out.

Higher cost: Building a gaming PC can be expensive, especially if you want high-end components.
Thankfully, I got my HP Pavilion Gaming laptop on sale at Walmart and I was also an employee at the time, so I got even more of a discount. I have no regrets about buying this gaming laptop, it has done wonders for me.

Thankfully, I got my HP Pavilion Gaming laptop on sale at Walmart and I was also an employee at the time, so I got even more of a discount. I have no regrets about buying this gaming laptop, it has done wonders for me.
Yes, sounds like a winner to me.

I have the same model, though I got mine back in 2018 when I still worked at Walmart as well. Sadly I think I got the display model, the microphone never worked on it and now a Windows 10 update got screwed up so I have to reinstall Windows on it. :\ Anyways probably the best thing about PC gaming is having access to mods IMO. Plus you can get games to run smoother and look better than consoles, if you've got the money to make a high end rig at least.

I got mine sometime during the pandemic when a lot of things were being sold out due to people using their stimulus checks on entertainment. Although I received stimulus checks, I already had enough money to buy the laptop of my choice.

Not many downsides to be honest. I was an avid console player and hated PC, but then I actually took the plunge about 3-4 years ago and built my own computer, the initial outlay of about 2k after all the monitors and accessories was a bit of a yikes but since then, I haven't had to buy anything for it and shouldn't have to for a little while yet.

The only downside personally for me outside of the initial cost is that sometimes you have to wait for games that are exclusive to consoles. But that happens anyways if you are an exclusive Sony of Microsoft console gamer anyway, so it's not a massive bummer. Oh and the fact that there are multiple gaming programs now (Steam, Epic Store, Origin etc.) is kinda annoying creating a divide in my gaming library.

Some AAA titles are also awfully ported back to PC, Madden and Fifa are prime examples.

There are tons of positives, one of the big ones is the workshop community on steam. For certain games that lack replayability or devs just move onto other projects, fans of the games can really change a game.

Oh and the fact that there are multiple gaming programs now (Steam, Epic Store, Origin etc.) is kinda annoying creating a divide in my gaming library.
Have a look at Playnite - it can act as a frontend to all of those at the same time (as well as others)

Have a look at Playnite - it can act as a frontend to all of those at the same time (as well as others)
Eh. Just another program to use and like i said. I like my whole library in one place, that goes for achievements and playtimes as well. That's what i liked about the PlayStation and Xbox. Trophies and gamer score transferred generation so you got to keep your score so to speak.

I loved console gaming for quite a time, I did some MMORPG on the PC even when I was console gaming though. I felt as if it was easier to communicate with new people on console because of the fact chats were open to everyone. When the party systems started I feel like it was not as easy to talk to new people. On the pc I feel more comfortable with my nice chair I got, as well as being able to see the computer easily as I'm closer. When I played console I was typically sitting up or laying at the end of my bed so not as comfortable.

Like others said I agree - the initial price to build a computer is expensive, but once it's built there are not continuous costs throughout the year, but maybe after 2 years an upgrade - but even in console time, sometimes there is an upgrade for them as well!

I think for the PC you can customize your gaming experience a bit more which is nice.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 16 76.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest