Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Cursing and swearing

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
How do you feel about cursing or swearing? Do you do it? Is it "bad" to swear?

I don't curse or swear but when I get angry or pissed off so bad I might say a few mean words.

I generally only cuss around my immediate family or best friends and that is still a rare occasion. I think some people go overboard with cussing, dropping the F-Bomb in almost every sentence, I see no need for that. I can understand cussing when you are really angry or you get hurt, it helps blow off some steam.

In real life, practically never. Even online, I don't do it very much,

I'm not really bothered when other people do it, though - unless they're just doing it because they think it's cool and they're trying to get attention. Then it's just childish.

My mother is so very much against cursing and swearing at kids. She's of the opinion that you're supposed to use your mouth to bless and not curse. It's why I wouldn't curse anyone for any reason whatsoever.

Last edited:
I generally try not to cuss and swear but in some cases, it just happens anyway. I am not against cussing and swearing as long as it's done in a way that is not over-repetitive. For example, I can't stand to hear people speaking and every other word out of their mouth is a cuss word. Now.. if you step on lego or something or even stub your toe, that is very much acceptable LOL

The only people that I would swear at freely without holding back are the mad bus drivers and conductors in my country. They are the most rude and stupid people you can ever deal with. The last time I had an issue with one, they didn't stop me at my stop because they did not see passengers to pick from there.

I think there is a time and a place to swear. I have never sworn in front of my elders, or those I am supposed to hold in high respect. My peers and when we are being silly, sometimes I do ~ I never say it in front of people I don't know or kids. My husband stated for a while I cuss so much, but it's because we were gaming so frequently... I do cuss quite often when gaming xD

This reminds me of an Irish folk song, Follow Me Up To Carlow - with the line, "Curse and swear, Lord Kildare..."

There is data from some "experts" that cursing is a sign of social intelligence and "verbal superiority".
Or so says Timothy Jay, professor emeritus of psychology at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, who has studied swearing for more than 40 years.

There's definitely been research into the applications of using expletives as a way of funnelling anger for the purposes of pain management in the short term - swearing helps. As for cursing as a sign of social intelligence, I've heard plenty of anecdata in both directions for a long time, and I remain unconvinced in either direction.

But I do find that not swearing as a general life policy means that the occasions you do, hit harder.

I curse all the time, though especially when I'm upset or angry. I used to be a sore loser when it came to playing video games and I remember my mom telling me that she was going to put soap in my mouth if I kept cussing every time I died. That didn't stop me though, even when she did put soap in my mouth. :V

I think teachers and professors shouldn't cuss. It really lowers my respect for them. Well, in the case of grade school teachers, it should get the teachers fired. Anyway, though, tons of grade school teachers cussed when I was in school.

I think teachers and professors shouldn't cuss. It really lowers my respect for them. Well, in the case of grade school teachers, it should get the teachers fired. Anyway, though, tons of grade school teachers cussed when I was in school.
That's sad, as a teacher, it hurts my heart. I don't think as a student I ever heard cursing from a teacher... and I know as a teacher I've never heard it either in front of the kids.

That's sad, as a teacher, it hurts my heart. I don't think as a student I ever heard cursing from a teacher... and I know as a teacher I've never heard it either in front of the kids.
I don't know how teachers in my grade school days got away with it. One thing they had in common was being athletic coaches, but do they have that much power? Well, are supposed to be rough, but well, you know what I mean.

I don't know how teachers in my grade school days got away with it. One thing they had in common was being athletic coaches, but do they have that much power? Well, are supposed to be rough, but well, you know what I mean.
I know in some towns couches get a lot of slack because sports are super important. I've seen it a few times in the smaller school districts. Quite strange!

I know in some towns couches get a lot of slack because sports are super important. I've seen it a few times in the smaller school districts. Quite strange!
I think power tends to spoil people. People think they can get away with murder. However, soon their comfortable job that others envy is gone for them.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest